just ordered new xps with i7, should i do a clean install at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Major Player

just ordered new xps with i7, should i do a clean install

just ordered new dell xps with i7, when i get it i thought about just formatting the drive to get rid of all the crap programs that usually come with PCs

it comes with win7 home premium 64 and i have win 7 64 pro i could put on it.

any thoughts?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I do a clean install of every computer I get. Fortunately, as IT staff, I get the machines with no OS usually. My editing machines do come with OS's on them, and they are immediately scrubbed, re-partitioned, patched, and have only my few programs on them. It's amazing how fast they are without the junk on them. And how much more disk space you have available!
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I always format the harddrives on my dell pc's once I get them, I also replace the start up disk with one of my own (have some raptor disks from WD) and then I use the original start up disk as data or back-up disk. I know that Dell did partitions their startup disk as NTFS and a small part fat32 for diagnostic purposes but I actually never cared about that, just wiped it clean from the start and reinstalled the OS. In that way you have much better control on what is active on your pc.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Another vote for clean install, with a warning - don't call Dell if you get stuck...

In other words, do it only if you absolutely know what you're doing.
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Editing machine or not, I wipe every new computer I get.

Not just for speed, but it'll be much more stable too, so long as you don't screw anything up.

Greg
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Clean install

Clean install all the way baby. I have a habit of doing a clean install, get all the latest patches and uninstall not needed software that part of the OS like games, window mail or outlook express etc..and make an image of it for safe keeping. I then load all the software such NLE, add on and tweak to my liking such as setting and make a second image out of that. Once a year, after a wedding season, I wipe my PC clean and re-image it. In 10 minutes or so I'll have my PC ready for action again.
Allan Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:52 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Allan, you are exactly describing my workflow when preparing a new pc, that is by far the most safest and productive way to prepare yourself for every new weddingseason.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Before you wipe and clean install,

May I suggest you make an image (an IMAGE, not copy) of the HDD that came with the system, immediately, without doing anything. It might be full of bloatware or whatever, but it's OEM and will help you if you ever need to deal with warranty stuff.
Fitz Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Trustee

I agree with Fitz, good to keep a restorable image. If you ever sell the computer, you can bring it back to its original state.
Old June 25th, 2010, 04:27 AM   #10
Major Player

I did a similar thing but got a new Latitude i7 with a 250GB SSD first time I had this type of storage. the thing does boot really fast. it came with 1920x1080 screen and all the connectors you could imagine! I've already plugged it into my 30 dell monitor 2560x1600 through display port and it had no problem driving that resolution graphics. I'm put my Adobe PP CS5 and Photoshop CS5 on it. for sort of a portable edit machine. this time I got a 15" screen because I wanted the weight of the unit to be less than 6 lbs. I also using windows 7 pro 32-bit but can go to 64-bit. I have 64 bit windows 7 pro on my optiplex 780 and XPS M170 (17" screen).
Douglas Call is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion