iPad teleprompter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 1st, 2010, 02:57 PM   #16
Major Player

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone can update their impressions of the UltraLight iPad teleprompter (made by the Prompter People).
I'm wondering whether to purchase one of these things.

A few of the posts made mention of the fact that it's hard to update a script.
Could one not attach an external keyboard to the iPad, and type in text changes?
Thanks,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 03:30 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I still have not used it in conjunction with the itouch because of connection problems but I still use it quite a bit. I just stand next to it and adjust the speed of the text as my subject is reading. works really well and we get what we need out of it. I adjust scripts all the time on the ipad and never run into issues. Just takes a little longer to type on.
Brandon Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM   #18
Major Player

Brandon — thanks for the prompt reply.

When you talk about connection problems with the iPod Touch, it reminds me that others on this forum talked about connection problems; this is clearly a problem with this new device.
You mention that you don't use a Touch or an iPhone, and that you stand next to the UltraLight prompter and adjust the speed. Can you elaborate? Is there a control on the iPad that allows you to adjust the speed?
(I was under the assumption that the speed HAD to be controlled remotely. I'll be pleased if this isn't the case).
Thanks for your help with this.
Malcolm
Old October 1st, 2010, 05:05 PM   #19
Regular Crew

You can scroll the screen faster or slower with a swipe of your finger. Takes a little while to get used to it and you also can go into settings and tell it how fast you want it to scroll as default. I typically set it up to scroll fast and then with one touch of the finger you can stop the screen so your subject can read the text and then when they get toward the bottom, then you tap it again to keep scrolling. Hope this helps.
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM   #20
Major Player

this does help... thanks so much. Sorry to ask for more information but I just want to make sure I understand.
I'm worried that my finger might be in the way of the poor guy who's going to be trying to read the text.
If I go into settings, as you say, and tell it to scroll at a certain speed (I'd find a speed this guy's comfortable with), then will it scroll by itself (I just maybe have to hit a 'Play' button or something to start it (once the camera's rolling)?
(then, I think I understand, tap the screen to get to the next page of text).
thanks Brandon
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:46 PM   #21
Regular Crew

ya, basically you choose a speed between 1 and 10 and when you click on the script title, it starts automatically for you. The only thing is that whoever reads will have trouble either keeping up or going too fast and thats where you come in to do minor adjustments.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 02:24 PM   #22
Major Player

thanks once again Brandon.
I asked today at an Apple store, and was told that I could send a Word script from my MacBook Pro to an iPad via email. I could then open it on the iPad in Pages. This would produce an editable file. Connect a small Apple Bluetooth keyboard to the iPad, and type up any text changes if necessary.
From what you say, I could get the fellow who'll be reading from the teleprompter to choose the speed that suits him, and then adjust if necessary.
Sounds like not a bad set-up!
Cheers, Malcolm
Old October 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM   #23
Trustee

Can I be devil's advocate for a moment?

You say that you will let the person choose the speed of scrolling that suits him. Unless this person is a pro at reading from teleprompters, I don't see how he will have any idea what speed works best. As the 'director', you should be the person dictating the speed at which the talent is reading - not the talent.

If you your budget is seriously limited, then I can see where the iPad can help, but you are trying to make thie iPad do something which other teleprompter devices do far better. Just because the iPad has an App for a certain function doesn't mean it should be used.

For example, my biz partner has an ipad and he was using some 'cool' app to show images and ideas he had during a meeting, but not only was the screen too small for several people to see, but it was also severely limited in its image manipulation functions. I tried telling him to use my 17" laptop for this meeting, but he, as so many others too, is blinded by the 'cool' hype.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:01 PM   #24
Inner Circle

I work with pro talent and the speed of reading can change, depending on the nature of the text.

The talent might incorporate pauses into the read for dramatic effect or emphasis.

So being able to monitor and constantly control the speed of the scroll is important.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 07:04 PM   #25
Major Player

Steve and Dean — I truly appreciate the comments and advice, but let me respond.

re the speed: I'm just wanting this person to read at a pace he's comfortable with. Shouldn't I leave this up to him (even if I am the director)? If this were a used-car commercial, or the part of the medicine ad where the bad side-effects are listed, then yes, I'd feel obliged maybe to have the person read at breakneck speed. And maybe there's another time and place for something to be read slowly, for effect. But these are passages taken from a book (written by the same person who'll be reading the words on the teleprompter). Don't I want this person to read at the speed he's comfortable with?

I say this, and yet your words— "you are trying to make thie iPad do something which other teleprompter devices do far better. Just because the iPad has an App for a certain function doesn't mean it should be used"— are, I suspect, VERY TRUE. I am indeed on a limited budget, and I guess I'm hoping this works, but hoping, I realize, won't make it happen.

I don't know what my options are, though. I don't have a 17" MacBook Pro. But I do have a 15". If I could make this MBP work with a teleprompter, I would. But I've not read about a way to do this. Do you know of one? The person I'm talking to will be sitting just five feet away, so I don't think the size of the screen/glass is the biggest factor in all of this. But hey, I'd rather not have to buy an iPad if I don't have to (honestly, the fact that they're cool doesn't come into it).

Dean, I think you and Steve are on the same page (might as well keep the teleprompter metaphor going) re the advantages of being able to control the speed of the scroll on the fly. But it seems to me that the kind of teleprompter you're talking about (variable speed, etc.) would be very expensive.

I take both of your points, though.

If I go this iPad route, I'm making concessions for the sake of saving money. The question is—given that my "reader" isn't a professional who pauses for effect, etc.—will the finished product suffer?
Frankly, as soon as this guy said he wanted a teleprompter (so that he could read words he's already written... that is... stuff he would probably say better WITHOUT a teleprompter of any sort) I groaned, and decided that the finished product was going to be compromised anyway.

What kind of teleprompter do you guys use?
Regards, and thanks again for the feedback...
Malcolm
Old October 2nd, 2010, 08:01 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Malcolm...

I was impressed by the ProPrompter iPad setup I saw at NAB (ProPrompter HDi | ProPrompter | Bodelin Technologies). But I only saw it for 5 minutes so I don't have any familiarity with its limitations.

While you're saying you're doing it this way to save money, I think you're getting a great device that can do things a "real" teleprompter can't do. I have a PrompterPeople 15" teleprompter that works very nicely but I wouldn't want to use it outdoors. It has to be mounted securely to a tripod which greatly limits how it can be applied. It needs AC power, and has to be connected to a MacBook Pro or other laptop.

It uses a program called FlipQ which works OK.

The advantages of an iPad teleprompter are that it's compact, doesn't need any klutzy cabling or AC power. Great for handheld use or mounted on a jib or Steadcam -- all applications where a conventional teleprompter isn't practical or even possible.

You're right in that you will need to control the scrolling based on the talent's pacing. Otherwise it can sound robotic.

Reading for broadcast is an artistic skill. Many will sound like they're reading a contract aloud or trying to pass a reading test. Some will read with "feeling" but it comes across sounding like a teacher reading a book to kids. Some will go over the top and sound like a DJ selling cars. The really good ones will seem as though they're talking to you. But because of its artistic nature, the scrolling needs to be adjustable on the fly.

The teleprompter is only there so the talent doesn't have to memorize pages of text.

As for software, is this what you're using?

https://apps.bodelin.com/proprompter/producer/
http://itunes.apple.com/app/propromp...309792203?mt=8

It's a $9 download. Might be worthwhile to check it out.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 03:25 PM   #27
Major Player

Hi Dean et al,
Actually, I haven't purchased the teleprompter unit or the iPad software (or the iPad!) yet. I'm planning to do it tomorrow, though, so I can practise a bit before recording this "interview" on Friday.
I was asking all of these questions in hopes of assuring myself that I'm not throwing good money away.
The unit I'm going to get is actually the UltraLight iPad model, made by the PrompterPeople. I'd look at the one you're using, but I don't know of a local distributor. (they seem quite a bit the same anyway).
I appreciate the advice, and the warnings I've been given. Hope I'm making the right choice.
Regards,
Malcolm
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #28
Trustee

Malcolm,

Have you looked into using a cheap small LCD and teleprompter software and hook up via a DP to VGA to your MB Pro? Another option is using a 7-9" LCD (like those for on-camera use) and mount just above the lens. Olof from westsideav.com uses this method. http://www.westsideavstore.com/image...condary/75.jpg
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #29
Major Player

Thanks Steve. I'll inquire to see if the fellow who's demanded the teleprompter wants to look directly into the camera (which would require the mirror approach), or is willing to look just above, or to the left.
I trust Olof (I purchased a shoulder-mount plate for my EX-1 from him, which I use all the time now (although not quite as he intended).
I appreciate the advice.
Malcolm
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #30
Trustee

Here is what it looks like when reading with the screen to the right of my EX1 and about 10' away.
http://www.newcicerotv.com/player.asp?guid={F248F7E6-5851-4D93-9201-D152E436D9D8}
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion