iPad teleprompter - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 8th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #31
Tourist

Does anyone have this iPad teleprompter in Los Angeles? Looking to rent this for the upcoming weekend, thanks.
David Shawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Re: iPad teleprompter

I finally purchased a ProPrompter and iPad. For software I used Teleprompter+.

Overall impressions: Nice setup. It works. The talent had no trouble reading it and we even got a couple of one-take shots, although we did do a second just for insurance.

What I don't like: It's bulky. The carrying case is large enough to fit my underwater camera housing.

With a Sony EX1 and the 0.6 wide angle adapter fully zoomed-out, there's tremendous vignetting at the corners. I have to zoom-in a little to maintain a clean frame.

To mount the ProPrompter on the rails I have to use an Allen wrench. I'm going to replace those bolts with simple wingnuts. Otherwise it's a hassle to mount and dismount it.

The Teleprompter+ software is easy enough to use and it's not that troublesome to move a script into the iPad. Also, be aware that you can set the iPad's preference to lock rotation -- otherwise if you tilt the camera up or down the teleprompter software will also rotate, leaving your talent to attempt to read an inverted script! :-)

I might sell my other teleprompter. This seems to do the job just as well with a lot less clutter

All this said, there's another company that sells a teleprompter which folds up into a case not much bigger than a laptop bag. And no tools are required to mount it onto the camera. Discovered this just a few days after I got the ProPrompter.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM   #33
Tourist

Has anybody used this system before?

Pad Prompter
Stuart Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:38 PM   #34
Major Player

Yes, I have it and use regularly. A key part of this setup is the iPad software. I have been using Teleprompt+ for iPad and the Teleprompt Remote app to run off an iPhone. The software has matured somewhat over the past year, so the syncing and latency between the 2 devices is minimal. The software is a bit buggy but it is workable.

The Pad Prompter itself does the job. Build quality is OK. Lots of innovative things about it but you have to treat it with care. The machined 15mm rod blocks get the job done but won't win any design awards but the best part of this is the weight of it. The unit is just under two pounds. When you compare it to standard teleprompters that often come in around 10, it makes rigging this up on a lighter tripod or a steadicam a reality.

Dean mentions about vingnetting. I haven't had this problem as when I''m shooting with the prompter I am never shooting wide. Usually doing talking head, intimate close up work. About the equivalent of 50 to 60mm on a film S35 camera. Most people would not be shooting wide with a teleprompter. Dean does a lot of outdoor stuff where wide angle photography works well.

I would say this is worth having in your arsenal whether you are buying your first teleprompter or need a light weight or compact one to take on the road. Given the price, it is hard to say no.

Make sure you practice with the software to get the hang of it and know where the idiosyncrasies in the software are so you can avoid them.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:00 AM   #35
Major Player

Dean,
Is the Pad Prompter the product that you were referring to in your post?
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:17 AM   #36
Inner Circle

is what I use and I love it. I have used it with a HPX-170, the GH2, and a Canon C100 and it has worked like a champ every time.

I also second Teleprompt+. It's easy to use and I can pull off camera operating and running the teleprompter at the same time. Not ideal, of course, but can be done if needed.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #37
Major Player

Ditto TelePrompt+ as my app of choice. As Gary says, it's simple enough to operate (even with the remote) that I can one-man-band it.

The prompter I use is the ikan Elite Teleprompter "Upgrade Kit"... this unit puts the prompter on a rail block, then you can just use your standard rail setup, which worked well for me. The compact size is a boon... it fits in an old padded laptop case (along with the iPad), sets up quickly, and doesn't weigh anything. The iPad holder is also a modular unit and can be mounted to any 1/4-20 fitting, so it's possible to use that bit separate from the prompter as an off-axis prompter, remote Skype interviewer, iPad "light stand," or whatever else.

iPad teleprompters are also multi-purpose. About a month ago I shot a long-distance, Errol Morris-esque "interrotron" interview running Skype on the iPad. It wasn't perfect as the interviewer basically couldn't get a good video image of the interviewee and react to body language cues, but the eyeline stayed dead on.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion