simple set design at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #1
New Boot

simple set design

Hey
Not really sure where to put this post.
I want to build a simple set and I need some advice. Basically we video the host comes on and talks briefly to intro it.
I've got lights and an EX3, but I need to decide on the background. I could either go the chroma key route, or buy a static background that never changes.
I just really don't want the chroma key to look cheap or tacky. Even the NBA has problems with them sometimes. Like where you see the green light on the players shaved head.
If I buy a muslin, it's more of a risk, cause you have to stick with it for every show. And it will get a little boring watching a guy just standing and talking in front of a sheet I think. I just don't know many alternatives. It's got to be clean, professional, and less than a couple hundred.
Please give me advice.
Thanks
Cade Muhlig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #2
Major Player

well you kind of already made your mind on chroma key, so it sounds like going with a static background is the way to go. You might want to look at something that you can give a different look by splashing colored gels on it. That way you can change it how you want. Also what about on location. I'm not sure what your videos are about, but can you do the intros out in the field at different locations? Harder to do but can pay off depending on your format.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #3
New Boot

Shooting intros on location is something we have definitely considered, but there's a couple reasons we choose not to. Most everything that we shoot is "run and gunnish", so having it in the studio is a nice contrast. Second, it is really hard to tease the show when it hasn't happened yet. Of course, we could do it in the field at the end of the trip, but we're usually pretty rushed, and don't have time to break it down and get a real good intro.
If not for those issues, it would be done in field.
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

For our show I rely on green screen keying to create the show opening and segment intros. I shoot background plates in advance and composite with After Effects and Primatte. It's done with an EX1 and looks absolutely seamless. I've posted examples here on this forum recently.
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Major Player

If chroma key is done right it looks great. I've went to mostly chroma key in my studio so I can do easily have a different set look, but I've also do the backdrop background and use patterns and gels to get different looks. Maybe by a nice background, but it's also very inexpensive to built a chroma key background as well, then you have the best of both worlds.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #6
New Boot

exactly, to get the best of both worlds is only the difference of $100. Thanks for the advice guys
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Just a thought,

chroma key and then use virtual set. I saw them somewhere, probably on this list.

dale

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion