Upgrading Ram for i7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 16th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Upgrading Ram for i7

Greetings,

I am looking at upgrading my ram to 16gb in my Dual Quad i7 setup I recently purchased, currently have 6gb, want to make it 16GB, currently have Corsair Ram DDR3 1333 mhz, I would dump this ram if I have too.

This cpu is for Editing only, so I would be after quality fast ram, no idea of what is what though, so many brands to choose from, and price ranges vary alot, all my editing is HDV.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Wayne Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Wayne,

sorry I can't help much, but 2 things come to mind.

1) I think i7's are triple bus memory drivers and so you want to expand in multiples of 3, so 16GB sounds odd. Being dual quad, I'm not sure what motherboard you will have, but check the specs of it that you are keeping the correct number of slots in use for "best results". Having said that, if you are not looking for optimised speed, it won't matter.

2) I think that your motherboard site's forums will discuss "best memory" for ever. I have an EVGA motherboard with single i7 and there are many, many threads on making 12GB available to the OS. It seems that the i7 doesn't like to drive a full complement of memory sets at anything over stock speeds and some memory is better than others. So I suggest you look there, especially as there have been no responses here in the last couple of days.

Cheers, Ian
Ian Firth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion