Edit a DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 8th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Edit a DVD

I want to cut two 10 second segments from a 25 minute DVD. This client had a promotional video made and it mentions in 2 places "come visit us in 2010". I edit with Final Cut Studio and also use MPEG Streamclip. Seems that I should be able to do it in MPEG but I can't figure it out.

Advise, comment, suggestions please.

Thank you

Kent
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

like this

I figured it out. I downloaded the DVD content to my computer and used toast to edit out the portions and then created a new dvd in Toast.
Thanks anyway

Kent
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Kent,

I'm glad you figured out what you needed to do. But you do realize, I hope, that your video was vastly degraded in the process. The MPEG-2 files on a DVD are already compressed - poorly so, some could argue, but that's a discussion of the merits of MPEG-2 for a different time. When you edit and re-compress the footage, you are REALLY knocking the stuffing out of it. I hope it survived the process without severe visual damage in your case. The best solution, of course, is to go back to the original tape or project file, whatever is the original source and edit from there. Then create a new MPEG-2 and swap out assets in the DVD authoring app.

Sometimes we do what we gotta do to get a project done, but if it's possible to go back to the source, that's the ideal.

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes

Thanks Rob;
In this case I had no choice, the original files were not available to me. You are right the quality was not what it was originally but it was still viewable.
Enjoy
Kent
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion