How would you spend $10,000? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 19th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #16
Trustee

Watched your video. Maybe you know this already:
Why not buy a refurbished or used camera and spend the savings on a better tripod?

Also, I understand yours is an XDCAM workflow. Nevertheless, why not invest in a 7D or GH2 since the shooter will need to pull manual focus anyway? Would it be too difficult to match footage of your main unit with the right lens?

I would suggest renting the rig rather than buying it. If you're doing way too many interviews then you might want to invest in another human being. Just my opinion.
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Good thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
Watched your video. Maybe you know this already:
Why not buy a refurbished or used camera and spend the savings on a better tripod?

Also, I understand yours is an XDCAM workflow. Nevertheless, why not invest in a 7D or GH2 since the shooter will need to pull manual focus anyway? Would it be too difficult to match footage of your main unit with the right lens?

I would suggest renting the rig rather than buying it. If you're doing way too many interviews then you might want to invest in another human being. Just my opinion.
Refurbished isn't out of the question...any recommendations on where to get it from?

I researched DSLRs and I feel that the workflow combined with two system audio will take me backwards...

As for renting, the project will easily take six months. We hope tol be in the black by the second month (for this project). We are a small shop...so the more streamlined we keep it the better for everyone.

Appreciate you input,
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe Poland View Post
The interview is pretty straight forward but the b-roll is shot in a tiny window of time and so there aren't any re-do's. So having focus and zoom on the left and right handles of the RR are a huge advantage for my style of shooting.
Right, but as you say this is b-roll not the opening sequence to an Imax nature documentary.

I've never seen a news cameraman operate with any kind of focus or zoom controller or follow focus, and they operate with tiny window's of time on a daily basis.

By all means spend the money if you really feel you can't live without these items, but surely you can get by using the zoom rocker and focus ring on the camera, and save a good chunk of change in the process.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Refurbished isn't out of the question...any recommendations on where to get it from?
I wish but I'm on the other side of the planet. :)

Quote:
As for renting, the project will easily take six months. We hope tol be in the black by the second month (for this project).
Why not buy your equipment after you're in the black? Rent it for two months...who knows, you might find a better deal for the equipment or change your mind about the workflow by then. Plus, you'll be in the black much sooner!
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:46 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I'm in a similar boat with a similar price range. My list is a bit different as I am looking to get a secondary camera (JVC GY-HM100), lights etc.

There are still meetings to finalise the budget (around £10,000) so I am still thinking things through.

I was looking at the EX3 (or possibly the EX1r) but I will ask you the same question I am being asked (and sometimes ask myself): Instead of this camera do you not fancy the AF100?

I know why I am swaying towards the EX- but am interested in your thoughts.

MC
Mike Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:03 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Af100

Yeah I like the idea of the AF100. But from everything I have read it will make my Final Cut workflow a nightmare. I would love to figure out how to make it work...but I'm not sure I would have the patience for all of the converting I would need to do.

Love the price...and the images it produces though.

At the end of the day being able to drop the XDCam-Ex onto the timeline and knock out a whole project from shooting to editing in half a day is what I need.

Lathe
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM   #22
Major Player

I agree that the weak spot seems to be the 501HDV head. Unless 100% of what you do is locked down that is not a very good head. I have the 503HDV and it is better but still not great.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion