DOF adapter opinions... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DOF adapter opinions...

Anyone use these particular DOF adapters?

35mm adapters for your film!

or

Static DOF 35mm Adapter for Consumer Cameras- EF Canon (eBay item 220595862765 end time 20-Feb-11 16:40:37 AEDST) : Cameras Photo

Just looking for opinions on either model from users / experts!

Thanks
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

It's very cheap... and most likely for a reason! But, at that price it could be worth a gamble...

However, I would look to buy a reputable second hand system. There are some very good deals out there as people flock to the DSLRs and the AF100.

Personally I love the organic look of a lens adaptor (but it has to have vibration or spinning ground glass). Have a look on my blog if you want to see some examples.

Cheers

Ben Ruffell
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Ben.

By the way the equipment list on your blog was the first time Id heard of the Cine Saddle.
How often do you use that puppy?

If anyone has taken the punt and actually used a cheapy adapter, let us know how it went vs your expectations.
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

These adapters are static adapters, meaning the ground glass screen stands still, and the image includes the grain that is part of the screen. The better adapters will have a vibrating or spinning screen that eliminate the grain. This will quickly become dissatisfaction for you.
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM   #5
New Boot

The first adapter looks to me like it looses a lot of light. All 3 videos on that page look like they were shot in very sunny conditions, yet the video looks a bit dim, so shooting in anything other then sunny weather will most likely give worse results.

I used a diy spinning adapter and it worked great. Quality wouldn't compare to anything like Letus Elite, but for the price you pay I think its worth the money. When trying to mix non-adapter footage with adapter footage, you're going to wish you bought the more expensive one :-\
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Can you tell me the name/model of the spinning DIY adapter you used?

Is it online somewhere to research?

Thanks
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Cine Saddle's are great. I use it all the time. You can buy the original from Australia, or there are copies floating around such as this one that I use: http://www.modular51.com

Ben Ruffell
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #8
New Boot

I use the spinning Redrock DIY adapter based on this:
Redrock DIY Guide

some tester footage with it:

Dvx100A + 50mm 1.8f
YouTube - DVX + 35mm diy Redrock adapter

Hpx170 + 500mm 3.5f
YouTube - ProDrift HD test

Probably going to put it up for sale soon as its lying around without much use, it was pretty good for its price back in the day, not sure how much they're worth now though, probably not even that much :)
Old February 15th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Tourist

Short award winning movie using DOF adapters

The following award winning short uses RedrockMicro MM2e and Shoot35 SGBlade DOF adapters on a Sony PWM-EX1 and PWM-EX3. On one shot a Canon 7D is used (can you find it..?) - i must say that the 7D shot stands out in a negative way...

Watch the full movie in fullHD here: YouTube - Vrije Val / Free Fall - 2010 - starring Aukje van Ginneken & Erik Rooseboom

Cheers!

Martin Beek.
Martin Beek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion