1080p storage, Am I lossing my mind ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 12th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Major Player

1080p storage, Am I lossing my mind ?

If I can own an SXS card and record 1080p video to it why can't I burn the data to DVD. I am not talking about making a movie, just data storage to be retrieved later.

Digital words are made up of 1's and 0's. What difference does it make as long as I am not attempting to play it. Shouldn't I be able to burn raw data to dvd. If video can be recorded to an SXS, CF or SDHC, it can certainly fit on a DVD. This has to be out there already right ?? A program that just copy's data from one place to another, I do not need a Blue Ray format if I am not creating an HD movie.

In my years of photography I have just somehow missed this information and all of you folks out there are alreay doing this right, tell me I live under a rock and I can get the program to transfer 1080p data at ?? If not, what happened, the stoned computer geeks of the world can hack the whitehouse, wall street and the pentagon, why can't i burn 1080p to DVD ??

After a short amount of thinking, This can be easily done right, Download the files to my computer, then just burn those files to DVD, 1080p stored correct ???
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sure you can.. It's just that DVD's can decay over time and they only hold 4.7GB.. So a harddrive makes more sense.. Especially with HD files which easily go over 4.7GB..
Sander Vreuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, unless you are planning to split a day's shooting across a dozen DVD's, I would use a harddrive. You can just drag the entire file structure of the card onto the disk and it should work for preview and capture.
Jackson Hager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

WELL, format issues aside it is possible to burn "data" to a DVD, but as has already been pointed out, HD video files are LARGE, even in compressed consumer formats.

You'd eat disks quite rapidly, and I venture to guess if you shot tapeless, long format, event type stuff, you very well might have files that exceed the capacity of the DVD!

As with all things "progress", larger storage media or methodology HAS of course been developed to keep up with this, I'm sure you'll find the average "small" HDD is 500G, with 2T (terabytes) rapidly becoming the standard at the high end. Those little USB drives are available in convenient 8G sizes for around $15 if you watch for sales (these are almost 2x the capacity of the DVD)... If you really want to go with a disk, BluRay holds around 25G, disks are getting pretty cheap, and burners under $100.

Time marches on, and hardware has to be capable of handling the changes. You don't edit on a 486 with 1G RAM and a 250G HDD...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Can Blue Ray be used for storage ? The whole problem is that blue ray can not handle 1080p format, so can a blue ray disc be used to store data ? 25G would be easy to work with, even a big event could be handled by a couple disc.
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I use Blue Ray to archive video projects now. It works as a data disk just like DVDs do only bigger.

And yes I know its not the best long term solution. If it lasts a few years its more than enough for my use.

It is a very convenient and easy to manage method to move finished projects offline.
Old February 14th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank you Chris and everyone.

According to sony a BR disc should last 30 to 50 years.
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I think "Should" is the operative word. Nobody has actually tested one for 30 to 50 years. Maybe "Might" would be more accurate - or maybe even "Well, we don't really have any proof that it WON'T last X years so let's claim it will."

The only real comparison test for archival life that I know of was done by some of the DVD manufacturers in Japan and the results were so all over the place that they never published the results - they kept saying they would try again, but I don't think they've had any better luck than before. Some of the discs that should have been "archival" lost data before some of the cheaper discs, but some of the cheaper discs lost data before the "archival" discs.

The only reason I know about these tests is that my client in Japan used to run the DVD development group for one of the large companies and when I asked him about archival testing he told me as above.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion