Video Preview Device Recommendation - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 13th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Video Preview Device Recommendation

I finally found one!!! cant wait to get playing with it.
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #17
Major Player

That's great news! I suspect you're going to VERY happy with it. I have to say that when I bought mine, I was expecting to use it primarily as a media delivery/entertainment device. I've become increasingly dependent on it for "work"...I send probably 70% of my email on it, do a lot of word processing, spreadsheets, powerpoint presentations, etc with it almost daily. When I'm shooting, I use it almost constantly for a variety of things...I suspect that by the end of the year it's going to be as common on a shoot as a tripod. I agree with the arguement that it's nothing more than a big ipod; but in this case, size REALLY makes a difference.
I'll be interested to hear what you think of it
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #18
Major Player

FWIW.... I am a PC guy... I never did like the way that lil goofy mouse worked on the Macs in the studio. I dont like change so I refused to learn Final cut Pro after learning and investing in Vegas Pro, What really sold me on the ipad was all the apps that are available. I am not sure what the marketing strategy is with Apple trying to convert us PC guys/gals but it may be working!
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Good evening,

I believe that apple's big business is all this small stuff!!! I just bought an 160 gbyte classic and I am a pc guy!!! its pretty nice too!!!

Still prefer Vegas 10 64 bit though!!!
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #20
Trustee

Whatever else you do DON'T let your wife mess with your Ipad if you want to keep using it yourself!

After her first experience with mine, my wife IMMEDIATELY started asking to use it - and it was just days before she was asking for one of her own.

Now, she hardly EVER touches her laptop anymore. ALL her email, magazines, and on-line research INSTANTLY switched to her iPad.

The iPad is TOTALLY an equal access revolution. In my experience this technology, somewhat unlike the traditional keyboard driven computer is something that "speaks" to men and women almost equally from the first use.

Which is pretty darn cool, in my book.

If Apple ever has sales slow down, all they have to do is offer these in "HIS & HERS" pairs and they'll spark yet another sales frenzy.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #21
Major Player

Same experience here too, Bill. My wife is decidedly NOT a techie. She has a cellphone only because her job requires it; same thing with her laptop.
She has always had zero interest in any of my "tech" stuff, be it computers or cameras. That changed the first time she saw my ipad.
She was able to feign disinterest for about a day; then it was a couple of days of MY hunting around to find where SHE and my ipad were.
She ordered one of her own within a week; something she has NEVER done before with anything computer-wise. Her laptop is used very sparingly now...only for work issues that she can't access from the ipad due to corporate security issues. Everything else she does on the ipad.
Old April 16th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #22
Major Player

I can see where my wife would like it as all she does is surf on the web. It would be perfect for her. One thing I did learn is that it works better on wireless "N" instead of "G" only makes sense right?

I am trying to incorporate it into business use and find it a lil unfriendly talking to my PC. I am taking one thing at a time. I bought it as a presentation device, so i am first trying to master Video and photo folders/albums

Ill keep u posted!
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:23 AM   #23
Major Player

Entering the garden of Eden perhaps?

Well, I am really getting the hang of the ipad2 My wife and I are looking at upgrading to iphones this weeekend. It is a GREAT device for what i needed it for. Here is what I have learned so far...Again please remember that I am a PC guy and this is my first Apple product

1: MOST IMPORTANT-The ipad is NOT a replacement for your laptop or desktop. Its merely an extension of your computer Its not really designed for file creation

2: Its a very personal device-meaning some may want to use it just to play games and surf the web, while others want it for productivity. Me...I needed a tool to present my portfolio to clients, both photo and video.

3: The camera takes "okay" pics in good lighting, but very grainy in poor lighting. I didnt buy it to use the camera future LOL

4: The display is very difficult to see in bright sunlight (actually non exsistent) this test was done on a sunny day with snow on the ground.

5: Apple support is OUTSTANDING.... i had to wait in que for 10 minutes, but was connected to a person in Atlanta GA. ENGLISH was his first language. He was very helpful.

6: The ipad2 is very difficult for me to hold as I have carpal tunnel and its so small. A cover or case is all that was needed to make this problem go away.

7: Itunes is the gateway for using your ipad2. You can not simply plug it into your PC and expect to drag and drop files like its an external USB device. You will need to learn about file nesting and manipulation on your PC.

8: Works okay on G wireless networks, but FLYS on "n" wireless networks (54mps compared to 300mps)

Finally its small enough to shove in a magazine and hide it from your wife if you dont want her to know you have one! LOL

Hope this helps some other ipad.newbie out there. A very special thank you to WAYNE REIMER who mentored me on this the past few days or it would have gone into the lake.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM   #24
Major Player

David,

You're most welcome! Glad that I was able to help a bit.
The more I use a tablet, the more convinced I am that they not only have a place in film making as a tool, I am equally sure that the variety of uses and apps dedicated to folks like us have only just begun to surface...sort of the tip of the iceberg.

I'm looking forward to watching and using some of the new apps as they are released...in the meantime, I'll keep churning along with what's available now and enjoying the heck out of this new technology
Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:09 AM   #25
Major Player

Can you believe I just bought an Iphone4 for the wife and I? I am a PC guy remember! or am I crossing the line?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 04:10 PM   #26
Major Player

Oh oh....you're slipping over to the "Dark Side" :^)

S'okay....I have one too, and does the wife...
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion