Rain on glass at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 15th, 2002, 07:49 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rain on glass

I was just watching "Pelican Brief" for the second time. Hadn't seen it in a long time. There's one scene where two men are riding in a limo at night. The rear glass of the limo looks as though it has just rained, but then I noticed that the water wasn't running. As I looked closer, it appears that they simply wrinkled up some kitchen-style plastic wrap on the glass. Does anyone know if that's one of the tricks used to get a "rain-on-glass" look?

I also noticed a mic boom dip into the frame...twice. Aaargh! I hate that.
Old November 15th, 2002, 09:46 AM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"boom dip into the frame"

was this a 1:85 aspect ratio or a 1:33 you saw ..

if 1:33 .... the movie was shot for 1:85 (protect 1:66, do the best you can for 1:33) .. 35MM is 1:37 ..when it is projected they just cut a little off at the top & bottom of frame .. when they transfer to TAPE some do a FAST /dirty transfer of just the whole 1:37 which means there is MORE headroom = mic could show up

i just saw Barbershop and i could see the boom mic in approx 60% of the scenes , focus was soft ... again this is because 35mm is 1:37 ( frames is 4 perfs ) .. the projector only shows you 3 perfs of the frame. the projectionist can adjust frame up/down - if they don't use the CENTER of the 4 perfs you might see too much headroom or too little ... i complained 3 times during the movie. twice i was told the projectionist was down the street at another theater. the food saleperson did attempt to focus BUT never hit it ... towards the end the projectionist made a adjustment on framing on a exterior scene BUT only watched maybe 15 seconds and then left ..WELL it was now worst when the interior scenes started NOW you could see the whole mic ... this made me wish they would just use a HARD MATTE in the camera gate ( anything bigger then 1:85 would be BLACK) then the projectionist would have a reference to frame ..and /or give me digital projection
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2002, 10:58 AM   #3
Wrangler

I'd have asked for my money back if it was that bad. If you can't enjoy a movie due to the theaters negligence, why should you pay them.

Anyway, as far as rain on glass goes...
Did you mean visible raindrops or that blurry look through wet glass?
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2002, 05:38 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dylan,

My description could have been more clear...it's the look of a car's wet rear window just after rain. Where the water is beaded up and clinging to the glass. Whatever they used was pretty convincing. It's just that when you're traveling at 30-40 miles an hour, the beads would be moving some due to wind pressure...and this water wasn't moving at all.

I wondered if they were actually on a set, with a screen behind the window projecting the rear view of a moving car. That can sometimes look cheesy...so making the glass have a "just rained" look would help mask the cheesiness.

Either way, I just wondered if that was how it was done. I'd test it myself, but living in downtown Tokyo, my only modes of transportation are subway and taxi. Don't think either would appreciate me slapping a sheet of plastic wrap on the windows.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion