question about shooting 24 fps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 17th, 2002, 01:08 AM   #1
gateway1

question about shooting 24 fps

i have heard some people shooting 23 or 20 or something less than 24fps on commercial shoots.

I suppose someone can shoot at great than 24fps as well

So my question is, if you shoot less than 24 frames per second does that mean your shooting film slower so it is in slow motion?

I realize this isnt a "film" message board, but you guys seem pretty smart and i figured you guys/gals would know.

thanks
Old November 17th, 2002, 01:18 AM   #2
Warden

It depends on the speed that the film is projected at. If it were shot at 20fps and projected at 20fps it would appear normal. Fast motion may appear jerky. This is caused by fewer frames per second to record the movement. If 20fps were run at 40 fps it would appear to be twice as fast. If slowed to 10fps it would appear as slow motion. So, if the commercial was shot at 20 fps and played at 24fps it would show 20% faster .

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2002, 09:37 AM   #3
Major Player

If you shoot at less frames per second, (cranking the camera) the footage when projected at normal 24fps speed, would appear to be in 'fast motion' or speed up.

Most comming thing u see is not the fast motion, which is easy to do in post, but for true slow motion that looks seemless, you shoot at a high framerate, like 48fps or even i have seen 96fps, that is for super slow mo.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2002, 10:49 AM   #4
Major Player

I don't think electronically shoot or processed footage still needs fast cams for moderate (4x) slowmotion. Field insertion based on motion prediction and warping can do a perfect job for such problems.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 10:33 AM   #5
New Boot

I believe its called Under-cranking.

Most martial arts films in Asia and elsewhere shoot fight scenes at 22 or 23 fps. That little bit makes a big diference on the percieved speed on screen when ran at normal 24 fps.
M. Bazaillion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion