how can I color correct grass in after effects? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

how can I color correct grass in after effects?

In our film there is one scene shot in March where the grass is mostly dead, so it's that dead yellow color. We need to make it look like summer grass. The actors walk across it so we were playing around with after effects "change to color". It isolated the grass really well, but we can't figure out how to make it look like the right color. No matter what we try it looks like fake neon easter grass! You'd think it'd be as easy as choosing the right color in the "To:" box, but it doesn't look anything like the color we choose. Sometimes the darker the color we choose the lighter the color it becomes.

I'm not familiar at all with this effect.

Any suggestions on the best way to turn dead grass into summer green grass? (without having to manually mask out every frame of the actors walking across it)
Jonathan Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: how can I color correct grass in after effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Grant View Post
Any suggestions on the best way to turn dead grass into summer green grass? (without having to manually mask out every frame of the actors walking across it)
Secondary color correction using the Color Finesse plugin (ships with AE) might work. There's a tutorial for it on CCow. You'll perhaps want to watch the first tutorial in the series to give you some context for this one. IDK.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 04:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: how can I color correct grass in after effects?

Something to be aware of: Grass isn't really green, but a yellowish green.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion