Editing: Need examples of "Handoff" transitions... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing: Need examples of "Handoff" transitions...

I'm working on a project where we want to use a similar technique for transitioning from one scene to the next as what is used in this movie trailer...

Snatch Opening Title Sequence

I know I've see other examples of this kind of transition, but several of us have literally spent a few hours doing searches on Google and Vimeo and YouTube and can't find them! (It's somewhat maddening, because we KNOW they're out there!)

The concept at it's simplest level is using an object in one scene to serve as a kind of "wipe" to the next scene. Getting more complex, objects can be thrown out of frame, landing in the next scene, etc.

I've seen some incredibly creative examples of this sort of thing...so if anyone knows of any and can post some links, I'd be grateful!

Thanks!
Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Editing: Need examples of "Handoff" transitions...

What they did, most likely, was composite shots together that were intentionally framed and shot to be used like that.

Diamond facing the same way, with a shallow DOF that softens the BG enough that you can barely realize the cross dissolve that happens while the shot is turning.

When it comes to the others, same thing - shot intentionally to be used like they did. This would be a job for after effects. You would line up the shots together on a comp, and just do a camera movement or just slide the two pieces of footage over while masking over to the next shot with a feather so it looks smooth. I could see roto being used in this as well.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Editing: Need examples of "Handoff" transitions...

Yep, I agree Justin---that would be one way of doing it. In our case, we're shooting a series of "walking feet" stepping through a variety of scenes (relatively closeup shots of feet walking)...and want to use these type of handoffs between them.

It definitely requires a lot of advance planning and working out the precise flow from one scene to the next (along with what the transitional element will be).

But I want more examples! :-) (Like I said, I know they're out there---lots of videos have done this.)

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion