Correct Exposure for Digital Video, ETTR or not ETTR? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Correct Exposure for Digital Video, ETTR or not ETTR?

Hi everyone

I'm a bit confused about how to expose correctly for digital video.

I know that for digital still photography, when using a RAW file format at least, many people promote the ETTR (expose to the right) method as being good for getting the maximum spread of tonal values in the shadows and the minimum noise in an image. And I know that this works well as long as you don't clip highlights in any of your colour channels.

But what about compressed formats like h.264 or mpeg-2?

Is it a bad idea to use ETTR exposure for these formats?

With my 550D I've been exposing for video using a grey card and setting the needle meter to 0EV on it when filming people in standard scenes. Does that sound correct?

Should exposure be tackled differently for different digital video formats, bit depths, colour subsampling, compression, data rate? With RED RAW footage for example is it better to use ETTR?

I'm really baffled and want to get this right for my upcoming assessed film project at uni. We'll be able to shoot on RED ONE, RED EPIC, h.264 dSLR and/or MPEG-2 on a Sony F3. I don't want to end up with footage that's lacking in some respect when we come to colour grading so any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Stuart

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion