Shot logging for file based video (AVCHD) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 26th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Shot logging for file based video (AVCHD)

I think it'd be easy enough to write down the clip numbers (as they show on the LCD prior to pressing the record button) log any edits on paper to be made at the time location of the scene, and then if you don't use the transfer utility to transfer the files, i.e. transfer them directly from the folder, then the file names are the scene numbers. 00005.MTS for example

So just rename the files to whatever you need to identify them, then when you drop them on the timeline, they'll be named and you can easily jump to the edits that you logged on paper because the time on the thumbnail will match up to your paper log.

This is my plan (thanks to Seth) and now that I've really thought about it, I can't see any better way to keep track of everything due to what the XA10 has to offer.

I keep hearing about this Edius - how hard is it to operate compared to Vegas?
Mike Costantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I have Edius and Vegas set with the same keyboard shortcuts and use a Shuttle Pro V2 as my controller so for me they operate much the same. They of course have different things they are good at and slightly different ways of operating. Getting video files into the project on Edius is more like Premiere in that you would put then into bins first rather than drag from explorer as in Vegas but once in the bin operation is similar. You should down load one of the trials. There is a new simple version as well as Neo and finally Edius 6.5 which is a more Pro version with Multicam etc etc.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Just when I thought I had it all figured out, the cameras threw me a curve ball. I mentioned not using the transfer utility to transfer the files from the memory card as the camera simply names the file as the scene counter is displayed on the LCD. HOWEVER, what I did not know until now is that when the camera has to make a new file at the 2GB mark, it doesn't give it an _1, _2 suffix to the end of the filename like the transfer utility does, it simply gives it the next scene counter number.

So, in reality I shot 7 clips, 00000 through 00006. But when you look in the STREAM folder on the memory card, I have files 00000 through 00010! So my idea of simply noting the scene counter number on my paper log, and then referring to the timecode option on the thumbnails is somewhat out the door.

Did we decide that there's no way to show time of day on the Vegas timeline events?

If not, what I'll need to do is note on the paper log the time of day that each scene starts since that's the filename that the files get when using the transfer utility. Then when I note my edits, I will write the timecode shown on the LCD, not the time of day since that's what Vegas will display.
Mike Costantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I always use the transfer software with my cameras as if yours is like the Sony PMB it will name the file the date and time it was taken combining any files that are longer than the 2G limit so that the named files are actual clips taken. If you know the time you took the clip then you know which one to look at and the counter position will be valid for you. Having true timecode or like Edius the ability to display true date and time is very useful though.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #20
Regular Crew

It does name the file with the timestamp of when the recording started, that's all fine and good. This particular transfer utility for Canon does NOT combine the files that are over 2GB; it simply gives the next file an _1 at the end of the file name and I have to use a joiner program to join them into a single file. It's not hard, just another step.
Mike Costantini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion