Camera for web video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera for web video

Hi All
A mate who has a small business wants to DIY some videos for his website and emailing to associates. They are basicly just him talking to camera for two minutes, nothing too flash.
His budget is about $1000.
My knowledge only is in broadcast gear, dont know much about domestic gear.
So I'm after recomendations for a Camera, records to cheap media (SD cards?), external mic input, auto focus / exposure (dont need manual). I'll be setting up a small studio for him thats properly lit.
He'll be using Imovie to edit on his macbook pro.
Any suggestions (not worried about brand)?
Thanks.
Phill Pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Camera for web video

In the sub $1000 category I like Canon, but most cameras will do the job. Here is a list from BH that look good.
Sony HDR-CX580V
Canon VIXIA HF G10
JVC GC-PX100 (a new camera that they are taking pre-orders for)
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Trustee

I have a canon hf11 which does 1920x1080 avchd at up to 24mbs and I have found it superb as it has ext mic inputs and most things can be set manually.

The HF G10 looks superb and I might even upgrade but all the small canon cameras are very good!
Old January 29th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Major Player

From what I've seen of 'speak to camera for web use' video, it's the lighting that makes all the difference. I bet you could make a decent job using an iPhone with good lighting. Not so sure about the audio with the iPhone though ;-)
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks all for the replies. Nice to have recommendations from experienced people.
Your right Trevor, lighting is sooo important, already have a nice fluro softy lined up. Have you seen how the IPhone went on the 2012 Zacutto shootout?
Phill Pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Dennis View Post
From what I've seen of 'speak to camera for web use' video, it's the lighting that makes all the difference. I bet you could make a decent job using an iPhone with good lighting. Not so sure about the audio with the iPhone though ;-)
I agree here. You can run a double system for the audio. Invest in a microphone with a mini jack plug - run it directly into your computer. Use software like Screenflow to capture the audio (as well as the screen - which will come in handy for future use). And sync it in post.

More work? Yes - but building your setup this way gives you greater flexibility and you'll have money left over.
Teddy Juras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stoneburner View Post
In the sub $1000 category I like Canon, but most cameras will do the job. Here is a list from BH that look good.
Sony HDR-CX580V
Canon VIXIA HF G10
JVC GC-PX100 (a new camera that they are taking pre-orders for)
I would also recommend the Canon HFG10 assuming the $1000 budget is for the camera and there is another budget for lighting and sound. If $1000 needs to cover everything, then the Canon HFM500 uses the same sensor as the HFG10 and is much much cheaper. The Panasonic HC-X900M also produces excellent quality without spending the entire $1000 budget.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion