Large sensor camera under 6k? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Large sensor camera under 6k?

I went from a canon xha1 to a t4i (I still have the xha1) I love the image that the dlsr produces but I also want a full sized camera with all the benefits that come with it. Is there another camera with a large sensor, under 6k that can give me the same great image along with low light capeabilities besides the c100 and c300?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Large sensor camera under 6k?

Hi Kevin

I have a Sony EA-50H ..it's a APS-C sensor not full frame but is really awesome and shoulder mount too!!

It even a lot cheaper than the C100 or FS100 ..If you want a video style camera with DSLR looks then it's a nice hybrid

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lewis View Post
I went from a canon xha1 to a t4i (I still have the xha1) I love the image that the dlsr produces but I also want a full sized camera with all the benefits that come with it. Is there another camera with a large sensor, under 6k that can give me the same great image along with low light capeabilities besides the c100 and c300?
I'd look at the 5d if you are canon lens owner, and you mean full frame, though your t4i lenses might not work. I moved up from t2i to 7d to 5d. Wish i would have gone directly to the 5d. I love the 5d mkiii. Very beautiful images for video.just add a bit of post sharpening. See review by P. Bloom on it.
The Panny GH3 looks mighty fine for the price, though not FF. if you can afford to change lenses, though there are adapters.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Major Player

Sony FS100 and Panasonic AF100/100a

I've used both professionally and have owned the AF100 for a year and a half. I think the AF100 offers a little more for the money (selectable NDs being the biggest advantage), opinions differ... they're both fine cameras. Metabones is currently offering a quality electronic lens adapter for Canon for the FS100, and soon for the AF100. Other electronic Canon adapters exist for both cameras with somewhat more bulk and complexity.

Shot a little with the Sony VG20... not as nice as either the FS100.AF100 cameras, more of a "handicam" build, but still decent. The EA50 essentially puts the guts of that into a more ergonomic quasi-shoulder-mount. Sony also has their VG900, which has a full-frame sensor (not sure of its limitations on full frame sensor use).
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Kevin, I've used almost all of the cameras mentioned besides the Sonys, and let me say, the C100 is worth every single penny. It's just a little more cash to front, but wow are the images night and day above the 7D which is now relegated to a rather nice B-camera. I shot some images in Washington DC last week of the capitol building, and the sheer amount of detail the C100 captures is astounding. The footage from the 7D looked like SD in comparison! If you have the entire lens set (and especially if you have EF lenses with IS) it's a no-brainer that you want to stay with something that easily implements them. For Run-n-Gun the AF100 was great as well, since the smaller sensor was easier to handle focus-wise, but for sheer clarity, DR and usability, I'm really loving the C100.

I'm sure you can get wonderful pictures out of any of these cameras, and don't drive yourself into the poorhouse if the time isn't right for such a large purchase. The camera is only as good as the work you can get to pay it off!

On a side note, I used a GH3 the other day and I think for the $$ it produces some of the best pictures in town - better image-wise than the AF100 and cleaner/crisper than Canon DSLRs. Now, it was a HASSLE to shoot with it rigged up with and external monitor, external XLR adapter, crummy fragile audio/video connections, no ND filters - but it the footage was wonderful! Not something I'm willing to put up with every day, but another option for someone looking for cheap and good!
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #6
Trustee

I run a Sony VG20 and now a Sony EA50 aswell ... does the job for me.

But if you want full frame, get your self a Sony VG900.
James Manford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion