Requirements for playing AVCHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 5th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Requirements for playing AVCHD

I have a Mack Truck desktop which has no trouble playing or editing AVCHD, but my netbook struggles playing 1080i .mts files and usually gives in.

I considered a laptop for editing on the move and was advised to get one with a non-integrated video card, as I was told the video card is the most important item in AVCHD playback.

Is the video card the most important item in AVCHD playback? I thought it was the amount of memory and the grunt of the processor - to do the decode.

What is the opinion of the Forum?

Thanks
Erik Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Requirements for playing AVCHD

"... was advised to get one with a non-integrated video card, as I was told the video card is the most important item in AVCHD playback."

This advice is half right. The graphics (video) card matters, but with the new Intel processors and *integrated* graphics playing AVCHD video is duck soup - they are hard-wired to play it. This includes the latest Atom processors as well as the iX series. You can go into any BestBuy store, bring your AVCHD video on a usb stick and play the video using Windows Media player completely smoothly. In the "old days", the integrated graphics was not good enough. No longer true. AS $349 laptop will play AVCHD movies with no problem.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Requirements for playing AVCHD

Good reply.
Thanks Mark
Erik Bennett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion