DIY Battery pack at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 7th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DIY Battery pack

Hi,

I'm unable to afford a quality battery pack for my jvc gy hd111e.

I've read online about DIY battery packs. I'd like to ask, if anyone could advise me. As i'm struggling to understand volts etc.

If i use a 12v converter, and attach a 12 v battery to that. Could i use this to power my camcorder if I plug a power cable into the converter from my cam?
Andrew Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: DIY Battery pack

Some of those 12 volt to mains converters have a far from clean output, and I am not sure that I would want to plug your cameras PSU into one. It might be better to look at regulating the 12 volts down to the 7.2 volts that the camera uses, and use the DC lead.

Or five rechargeable cells in series would be about right. There might be reasons why that is not a good idea though, so hopefully someone with better information will join in. I would be inclined to forget about a cheap inverter though. Just my two cents worth...
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Andrew

Most electronic shops will have a little voltage regulator kit that is adjustable BUT it requires soldering plus you need a digital volt meter to adjust the output exactly!! I really wouldn't go that route unless you have the tools to do it ..I have made many camera packs that use a 12v CCTV battery and supply the camera with 7.2v but unless you have the skills don't go there!!

Surely you can buy generic batteries for the JVC ...generic (non genuine) batteries are cheap as chips on eBay so I think you would be better off getting a cheap generic if you need to save money.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #4
Trustee

I agree with Chris a generic compatible battery is probably the best way to go: Battery for BN-V428 BN-V408U JVC GR D93 GR DV1800 | eBay

UK sourced too so you will get a 12 month warranty with it and cheap as chips, you can also get car chargers.
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Major Player

It was not based on anything the OP said, but I had it in mind that he wanted long life from the camera without having to change batteries. For time lapse perhaps? Or similar application.
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

This is a dead simple regulator that is rock solid. I use them all the time and abuse the crap out of them.

3A Adjustable step down switching voltage regulator
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi,

Yes, I'm needing something that can record for at least 50 mins. My battery's last at most, 20. I really can't afford an idx battery system at the moment.
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Andrew...................

Can you just confirm some basics here?

I think your camera requires 7.2 volts DC - correct?

What current or wattage is required (Amps or Watts) to run the camera?

If this power to be originated from a cheap 12 volt DC battery or AC mains (household power)?

Armed with that information I can give you an idea of your best way forward.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Andrew...................

Can you just confirm some basics here?

I think your camera requires 7.2 volts DC - correct? Yes.

What current or wattage is required (Amps or Watts) to run the camera?
Power consumption. 16.5 W
DC 7.2 V =2.3 A (VTR)
DC 7.2 V 1.2 (CHARGE)

If this power to be originated from a cheap 12 volt DC battery or AC mains (household power)?

12 volt.

Armed with that information I can give you an idea of your best way forward.

CS
I've also looked at the stock li-lon battery. Is there any one that knows how to break these down to convert to battery pack/belt. I've loads of the batteries for the camera....as they only last 15 minutes. I'd happily convert them, if anyone can point me in the right direction.
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #10
Major Player

Your best bet would be something like a 12v dryfit burglar alarm battery ( which can come in larger capacities - so will run longer , look for the amp-hours Ah rating ) . You could even get a leisure battery from the caravan dealer which would run your kit for days on end ( again like the burglar alarm batteries this is a lead-acid type battery but with the acid in a gel form so it does not spill - that would be a danger with car or motorcycle batteries - but bear in mind the likes of a 100Ah leisure battery will be the size and weight of the largest car battery , not exactly portable .

With any of the above you then need to regulate down to your 7.2 V - you will get a regulator from the likes of Maplin Electronics on your high street , CPC in Preston ( who are mail order ) or RS Components who are trade only but you might get access to them through work ?

Another option would be to look on eBay for a secondhand PAG belt which you would likely need to renew the cells in - tagged cells can be bought from the places I listed above and would need soldered in .
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion