Data Asset Management at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 21st, 2013, 02:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Data Asset Management

Hey,

Not sure where this fits but it could fit here. I am working on finding a good data asset management system and I have checked out CATDV. I wanted to see if anyone uses it or if there's another option. Part of my job is to catalog photos, thousands of photos. I wanted something that could handle both video and photo so I could just search one database.

We do a lot of photoshop work, video work using FCP, and Premiere, as well as animations and things like that so I basically have a lot of sources going into this database. It would be nice to be able to store project files on the system and include keywords so I can do a search of like "Hospital Exterior" I would be able to locate exterior shots. Finally since I am working with video I would really like to stray away from cloud based storage. My editing equipment is off the grid as far as our IT goes so I have to connect to guest internet which is terribly slow and I wouldn't want to rely on a system that is going to be using wifi if I can't rely on the wifi to get work done.

Also something that works cross platform would be sweet since I am working with both PC and Mac.

Does such a thing exist?

thank you!

Jeremy
Jeremy Borton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Data Asset Management

Well, some of the functions you mention were kinda what Adobe Bridge was supposed to do. But with everyone up in arms about their recent rent your software from our "Cloud" or else, move - I'm not sure it's the safest bet right now unless you're completely comfortable with having your entire editing future dependent on flawlessly feeding one company $600 a year in perpetuity.

If I wasn't so happy with the young but growing database capabilities built into FCP-X for asset management - I'd probably still be doing my external asset tracking work in Filemakre Pro as I did for decades, but that approach takes a good bit of "hands on data garden tending" - and the point of all databases is that they're only as good as the time you put into constantly entering and pruning your data. So for my money, the closer your DB is tied into your editing workflow, the better. It ensures that when you have to spend lots and lots of time editing in Program A - you're not tempted to neglect to log and tag everything for later data retrieval inside Program B. At least in X, it's ONE process, not two. But X is NOT a full featured asset managment program at this point, so it's NOT what you need if you have to have cross platform and cross software global search, sort and tagging.

Lots of larger facilities I know about about use CatDV but I'm personally leery about gathering too many specialized "one trick" software packages. If something goes wrong with their approach and they don't meet my needs in the future - I have to migrate and re-do everything I've built up. And that is NO fun.

For that reason alone I'm just not sure that the industry has the perfect tool right now.

Those are my thoughts, anyway. YMMV.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:40 AM   #3
Major Player

I am in search of the same thing although I am not so concerned with images because we already have Exensis Portfolio (which I am told takes video but it won't take my AVCHD files). Final Cut Server used to do this but is now discontinued.
Anyway I narrowed it down to:
1. CatDV
2. Cantemo (Cantemo)
3. Axle (axle - Radically simple media management)
4. Strawberry (FlavourSys: Strawberry)
5. Kaltura (Kaltura Video Platform)

Would love to hear from anyone who has used any of these systems
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi Bill,

I completely agree with you. This project has not been a fun thing to take on because there are so many assets to manage. Finding something that is going to be around for a while and also cost effective is hard to do.

I did sit in on a conference call for a system called Elvis (WoodWing.com) which seems to do a lot but also costs a lot. One of the guys on the call basically called them out when he said that at the end of the day
he has to present this to his boss, and it's going to be hard to sell a $60,000.00 a year subscription service (for a large corporation, which is what I am in) when they could easily pay a person a salary to manage everything and save in the long run.

I currently have Bridge but it's from CS4 so I am lucky that I'm not locked into the whole creative cloud agreement. Unfortunately it sits on a PC and now I'm working on a nice new Mac pro, which means I'm stuck.

I have been looking at CatDV a lot lately. I think it could do what I want, I just want to make sure before I commit.

Thanks again,

Jeremy
Jeremy Borton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion