Cold e-mailing Resume/Reels to Production Companies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 21st, 2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Tourist

Cold e-mailing Resume/Reels to Production Companies

I'd like any opinions on whether it's a good idea or not to cold e-mail local video production companies with your resume and reel. Of course, some care would be taken to personalize the e-mail (or would a letter or phone call be better?). Or would it be preferable to narrow the focus of the e-mail even more to a certain genre of video (wedding, event, etc.) and offer your skills on their next shoot of this type?

As an alternative to seeking out your own clients and the somewhat vague effort of trying to network to find opportunities with employers, I'd like a more proactive method for attracting even semi-regular gigs from a production company. Any suggestions or advice in this vein is appreciated. Thanks.
Sam Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Cold e-mailing Resume/Reels to Production Companies

Working at a production company we get cold emails all the time. If the person is emailing us directly, has bothered to try and understand the sort of work we do, and has a reel/background of interest, then I might find time to reply even if we aren't currently looking for anyone. But not always, simply don't have time or resource to reply to every unsolicited email - we are a small shop.

My preference is for someone to call if they are local, and follow up with an email or fact to face meeting if we have the time.

I have also received a cold email from an editor who had just arrived in the country right when we needed an editor, who worked with us for a year before returning to the UK and who I have an ongoing friendship with an plan to work with again in future. It just happened that he had the exact right experience and was in exactly right place at the right time. I think we were the first company he emailed. So I would always suggest trying your luck.
Old January 25th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks, Craig.
Sam Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:45 AM   #4
Major Player

I am a freelancer running a very small production business, and I quite frequently get e-mails asking for work.

Although I'm not hiring, it doesn't bother me. I think it takes guts to cold call a company with your resume or reel. So I generally do give these people a few minutes of my time provided they've contacted me in a professional way. At the very least, it doesn't hurt to have the contact details of local videographers in the event a casual camera op is required.

In my opinion go for it, the worst that could happen is they say no.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion