Spider Podium at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 28th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Spider Podium

It's always nice when you find an inexpensive little 'gizmo' which performs a useful function - so I thought I'd share this one here !

Just last week I decided to part with my PMW100 as I just wasn't getting on with the camera and , after seeing someone locally selling an HVR V1e , I asked if he was interested in a swap . There were various factors which I won't go into here , but the trade suited both of us .

One very minor negative was that , unlike the PMW , and my previous GY-DV500 , the V1 does not have a threaded receptacle in the top handle where I could mount my radiomic receiver ( it does have a front shoe , but I use that for my PagLight ) .

I set to looking for some other means of attaching the receiver to the camera : Velcro onto the battery was one option , but I didn't feel it would be secure enough ; I looked at various brackets that doubled the shoe into two , but I felt this might put too much strain on it , besides them being a fiddle . In the end , I was looking for something that would grip round the handle and hold the receiver securely .

After looking at the websites of various dealers and component suppliers , I ended up going down to my local car and bike accessory shop - I looked at various brackets for fitting lights and things onto bikes , then at holders for mounting mobile phones onto car dashboards - this was where I found the Spider Podium .

It is an inexpensive little thing with eight bendy legs which can wrap around and grip things . I attached it to the top of the camcorder with a couple of cable ties , then found that the legs will wrap around and hold the receiver securely . When not in use the legs can be bent down under the handle out of the way . It remains to be seen whether they will eventually snap with repeated bending - I hope not ! Even if it lasts only a while it was only £15 .

Here are a few photos , and a link to the maker's website at the bottom .

I should add I have no connection with the makers of this product , other than as a happy customer and member here who hopes this will be of use to other members .

I got mine from Halfords ( a car and bike accessory chain here in the UK ) , it may be available from similar outlets elsewhere .

Breffo® - British Design. Modern Adventure.
Attached Thumbnails
Spider Podium-image.jpg   Spider Podium-image3.jpg  

Spider Podium-image1.jpg   Spider Podium-image2.jpg  

Spider Podium-image4.jpg  
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion