How To Close a BD-R / BDMV in a Subsequent Session? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Major Player

How To Close a BD-R / BDMV in a Subsequent Session?

I'm using Power2Go 6.0.0.2221 (SR #: CDS080926-02), which was supplied bundled with my LG BH08LS20 burner. I'm running Windows XP SP3 and Toshiba UDF2.50 drivers, as recommended by my PC supplier. I've been burning Blu-rays with this set-up for about 5 years.

I burnt a set of video folders (my own production, so my copyright) to a blank BD-R but didn't notice that the "Close disc (no futher data can be added)" option was NOT checked in the Configuration/Information; Burner tab. The resulting disc will play in the computer but not in a Sony set-top Blu-ray player.

Can I rescue the disc, and if so how? I imagine it should be possible to add a small, harmless file in a second burning session and make sure the Close Disc option is checked. But what is a "harmless" file in the context of a BDMV video disc, and where should it go?

If it was just one disc, I'd throw it away and put it down to experience, but I actually burned 4 copies each of 2 different productions that evening, all with the same mistake, and I'd rather not waste 8 discs if I don't have to.

I've already asked this question on the CyberLink forum, but I don't think anyone understood the question, given the less-than-helpful response I received there.

Is it possible to "close" this disc in a second session and so restore the ability to play in a normal blu-ray disc player, and if so, how?

It's a BDMV-format blu-ray disc. The actual video footage is 1080-line MPEG2, c.25MBps, one of the standard Blu-ray video formats. I've used that Sony blu-ray player to play discs I've burnt using Power2Go in this format for several years. It continues to play other discs without problems. It's just the batch of 8 that weren't closed correctly during the first writing session that are causing problems.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion