Color Grading help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 24th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #1
New Boot

Color Grading help

Not sure if this is the right forum. I'm shooting with a 60Da, with UV/IR cut filter and a Canon 15-85. I want to shoot in Technicolor Cinestyle and add the Cinestyle LUT later, before I go on to edit. My problem is that I use iMovie, I don't have anything beyond iMovie 10, the Yosemite version. I tried using Davinci Resolve lite and I was able to get it work, however it seems to have some dropped frames and overall it is very complicated to use. I can't get it to export my clips back individually either, it combines them into one long clip.

What I'm looking for is a simple program that will allow me to apply the LUT to my clips and export them individually like they came in. I want to then edit the footage in iMovie and do any further correction there. Is there a program or plugin that can help me? Is there a better way to do this? I want the ability to use Cinestyle because I like the enhanced look it achieves, but I can't quite figure out a (free) simple solution.
Thank you in advance!
Rob Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Color Grading help

I wanted to note, Davinci Resolve doesn't run well on my machine, it's pretty old (2010ish MBP 15"). It's pretty overkill for my purposes too, just as a hobby for mostly vacation videos.
Old March 24th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Resolve can do that. You need to scroll down in the export window and check the box for individual files. It will export each clip on the timeline as an individual file.
Old March 24th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #4
New Boot

I tried it unsuccessfully a few times.. It was only exporting the last clip in the timeline. I tried to open Resolve again and it crashed my computer. I just want something simpler and more stable. You can grade in iMovie but just by hand, without uploading a LUT or curve to adjust. So I want my clips to be consistent.
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #5
Trustee

This program will do what you want, but iMovie is not listed. There was a hint I read that FcpX and iMovie share a lot of code, so it's a longshot that it might be a hidden feature. Anyway it's a free trial and cheap to buy.

LUT Utility for FCP X & Motion 5 | Color Grading Central
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 04:28 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I think grading it by hand may just have to work for me. I tried some test footage and with a properly exposed image you just re-add some contrast and a bit of saturation and it looks good again. Is there any reason why I should not batch-adjust my images this way through iMovie? Am I losing a ton by not using a LUT table?
Old March 25th, 2015, 05:44 AM   #7
New Boot

I found something that seems to work, so I'm reporting back. It's called 5dtoRGB, through the mac app store. It transcodes into ProRes and has a preset for technicolor cinestyle so it's just what I need. Hope this helps someone looking for the same.
Rob Philip is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion