Suggest a Laptop Capable for Video Editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 26th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #1
New Boot

Suggest a Laptop Capable for Video Editing

Right now I have an HP with Intel Core i7 and it does okay for video editing. I do entry level editing but videos take a long time to render and once I get multiple things going in the edit it really starts to slow down and get weird.
I paid about $1,000 for this computer.
Can anyone suggest a laptop in that price range that would be better for video editing ?
Daren King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Suggest a Laptop Capable for Video Editing

MacBook Pro.

Laptop editing is slow going when you talk about rendering. If I need to edit on the go and it's time sensitive, we lug along an iMac. I assume you're not a Mac guy, so just bring your desktop of choice. It does sound like a pain in the butt, but in reality it's only a couple of cables (we travel pretty light) and shore power.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

I went through an insanely huge process with sorting out which exact laptop model to purchase for in-the-field video editing when required. It was a lot of research.

The one I purchased in the end was the ASUS ROG G751JM

See it here: https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G751JM/

It's a fantastic laptop with brilliant thermal dispersion. You'll never roast your nuts whilst using it.

The back-lit keyboard is also a benefit for when you are using it in the comparative dark of a long plane flight or similar event circumstances. The look of it also impresses others.

The only drawback is that it's about an inch too big to use comfortably in the economy class seating. Granted, I have since gone down to 90kg from a 'peak gut' of 108kg. This may well solve the problem. :-)

Also, it won't charge from a socket in the A380 aircraft whilst being used, but might if the laptop itself isn't switched on. (The power socket units refuse to supply if the electrical draw is too much, I suspect.) The waiting lounges at stopovers will usually have electrical sockets to recharge from and this is enough to get you back in operation again for the next part of your travels.

It certainly has the grunt to get the job done when it comes to video editing.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #4
Major Player

I think there are plenty offers out there with i7 and SSD . But the graphic cards get dearer the better they are. Unfortunately that's the bit we really need.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #5
Major Player

well now the dell's are coming out with quad core look for HQ after the processor number and 960nvida
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 03:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Gaming type machines are becoming fairly close to desktop capability, with quad core CPS's and dual graphics with decent spec'd NVIDA chipsets. Typically these are "mobile" versions, but can be adequate.

A couple Dell models I'm familiar with are the 7559, 9550 (and the earlier 9530), and the Alienware stuff... should be workable - the downside is that most NEW gaming laptops are pricey, probably nearly 2x your hoped for target.... the upside is gamers tend to sell their old stuff pretty fast to buy the NEWEST stuff, and something a year or two old might still be workable.

Check the model # on your i7, (it's likely a "U"), which is a mobile version that I think actually is only two cores (vs. 4 on a desktop or MQ/HQ version). One good way to get some idea of how powerful your CPU is in "real life" is to look up the exact model on Passmark and look at the score.... they also score the graphics cards on that site, so you can dig into how a particular configuration can be expected to perform.

You'll also find that with each processor "generation", video capabilities and optimization have increased/improved... a "2nd gen" i7 is very much different from a 5th/6th gen (and now the 7th are coming out!).
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion