Samsung Enter Video Market at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 28th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #1
New Boot

Samsung Enter Video Market

I know, the topic is deceiving.

Most Televisions, fridges, stoves etc. are now produced in Korea with better quality and MUCH cheaper prices. Korea is now dominating the TV market and quickly over taken Japan ( Sony, Panasonic , JVC etc.for TV production / prices.

I wonder when LG or Samsung will enter the video camera market ?

I can see BETTER cameras and BETTER prices on the horizon.
Paul Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 03:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Samsung Enter Video Market

Hi Paul,

Samsung have been making cameras for decades, I can remember their 8mm and Hi8 camcorders and sd card consumer camcorders. They are still making cameras now including a modern bridge style camera with 4K video capability. NX1 Smart Camera, 16-50 mm Premium S Lens, Vertical Grip & Battery Kit- Samsung UK

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 03:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Last thing I read was that Samsung has stopped producing and selling the NX1 months ago.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 06:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Last thing I read was that Samsung has stopped producing and selling the NX1 months ago.
Don't know about that Noa, perhaps that's only in Belgium. It's currently on sale at a few places including here for current delivery or collection. Samsung NX1 S Power Kit inc Camera Body 16-50mm Lens Battery Grip & Battery | Appliances Direct

The OP wondered if Samsung intend to enter the camera market and my reply was to show that they have for decades and are still selling cameras. The NX1 is also promoted on their website.

Roger
Old October 29th, 2016, 07:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

If you google it it's full of info that Samsung is not further developing this camera and has taken the camera out of several markets, in the bigger videostores in Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany the NX1 has been taken out of sales and on B&H it also says that the camera has been discontinued. Maybe Samsung is still selling what they have left in stock or maybe they are only selling in certain parts of the world but if B&H says it's discontinued that says a lot.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 01:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Samsung has been in quite a few market niches (recently making headlines for its pyrotechnic cell phones), and yes, up until recently they had the NX1 and one other smaller still/video camera I can't remember the model # of, on the market. I was looking at them myself... prices were "OK", not that excitingly less expensive, and of course it meant new lenses and all to step into their "system". The cameras themselves seemed to be producing very nice images and video...

While I was thinking about it, the cameras were unceremoniously discontinued by Samsung, who I think was planning on concentrating on phones (with cameras built in).

The market for "cameras" (both still and video) is far from what it once was, it's a dwindling niche except for the high end "enthusiast" end of things, the NX1 and their other camera WERE geared to that market, but I think they didn't see the sales #'s they hoped for, and that was the end of that.

While Samsung "might" get creative and try to enter the camera market again, I suspect they are probably focused on another "situation" right now that will be keeping them VERY busy for quite some time.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I think you're right there Dave :-)

Roger
Old November 2nd, 2016, 05:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Silva View Post
I know, the topic is deceiving.

Most Televisions, fridges, stoves etc. are now produced in Korea with better quality and MUCH cheaper prices. Korea is now dominating the TV market and quickly over taken Japan ( Sony, Panasonic , JVC etc.for TV production / prices.

I wonder when LG or Samsung will enter the video camera market ?

I can see BETTER cameras and BETTER prices on the horizon.
Well . Samsung were partners with Pentax a few years ago , but they dropped that ball .

Having said that , I never saw past Sony for monitors ( had a KX27 PS1 , then a PVM 2730QM - still have it , and a VPH 1271QM for many years ) , then a Panasonic 36" FST CRT TV for a while , but now have had a 7000 series Samsung LED TV in the living room for the last 10 years , and an LG in the bedroom .

Not so sure when they might break into the broadcast market , which isn't so price driven as the domestic market .
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion