Video Thumbnails / Contact Sheets at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:14 AM   #1
Trustee

Video Thumbnails / Contact Sheets

Hi,

Forgive me if I've posted this before, it's a solution I've been seeking for a long time and never find quite what I want, and always think "it can't be this hard!".

I go out and shoot for a client. We shoot 100 clips in a day. B-roll, interviews, whatever. I put that in a folder. We shoot again the next week, again, 100 clips, I put that in a different folder. Fast forward a few years and we have 100 folders each with a bunch of clips. They are sort of vaguely organized (by when we shot them and what the subject was). But if you're not me (or this particular client) you'll never be able to find a shot of the library in the rain, unless you were there when we shot it and you can say "yeah, just pull one from the Thanksgiving shoot in 2014, it rained that day and we shot it outside the library".

I'd like to be able to deliver a contact sheet to the client of all their footage (or whatever subset I choose). Multiple folders. Because my camera records every image as 00001.mxf, somewhere, somehow I need to see folder structure. Either on every clip or every page.

After I shoot for a client again next month, I'd like to be able to generate the whole thing again (with the new shots).

In the old days, quicktime files held a poster frame, and you could find a way to steal them and batch them using photo tools (namely photoshop).

MXF files aren't nearly that friendly.

Anyone else running into this desire/problem, and what are you using?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:53 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Video Thumbnails / Contact Sheets

Hi Mike -

I think it was several years ago that I posted about my MovieGrid tool on DV Info. At the time it was very well received. It may do just what you're looking for. Give it a try. It's free, and works well with most codecs. I might even be able to customize it for you if it doesn't give you the results you're looking for.
I need to mention that it is for Windows only.

Mike Lee
https://phototools.wordpress.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Video Thumbnails / Contact Sheets-moviegrid-example.jpg  
Mike Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion