Broadcast Cameras for Church at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 15th, 2018, 10:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Broadcast Cameras for Church

So my church has been shooting, recording and broadcasting our services for years. I'd say 5 or 6 years ago we started broadcasting in HD and my pastor just recently came to me and mentioned updating to all new cameras (we currently have 4 camcorders). He asked me to do some research, but I have no idea what to look for. Our budget is probably between $1,000 and $1,500 per cameras. They are all stationary on tripods. Also, our sanctuary is dark at times so we'd like to have some good low light ability. We won't need to shoot in 4K, but we do want a nice high quality image. I've looked at some Black Magic cameras and they look really nice, but obviously I'm open to recommendations

Any suggestions?
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Broadcast Cameras for Church

Your budget doesn't really run to broadcast cameras - because it's not just the camera. The BlackMagics are wonderful cameras, but add in viewfinders, proper support - with heads and legs, cabling, CCUs and the rest and the figures rise dramatically. It's possible to pay $1000 for the zoom and focus demands! Plus of course the lenses, and if you really want professional standards, you need a big budget = smaller than maybe a year ago, but still big!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Perhaps “broadcast” camera is not what I mean. I guess I should share a little about what we currently use..

We currently have 4 Canon XLH1’s. We already have nice tripods/heads for each. Each camera has a zoom and focus controller, all the cables are in place and each camera has 2 monitors to view the live view and what is coming next.

I know this may be asking a lot, but here are the things we’d like in an upgrade...

- Good dynamic range. Our stage is bright, but they like to keep the rest of the church rather dark and it often looks like the blacks are crushed with our currently camera
- Good low light. With the rest of the church being dark, it makes it challenging to get shots of the crowd without tons of noise
- Nice quality image. We don’t neeeed 4K, but I just want a camera with nice quality
Old July 15th, 2018, 06:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The successor to 1/3" cameras are the 1" the cheapest one I can think of is the Panasonic UX90 for $2,000. It has lower noise and better dynamic range not crushing the blacks as much. I wouldn't consider it broadcast but it's suitable for your application.

But to be clear the issue you are describing, the audience being dark, no camera is really going to fix that. That is more of an issue of lighting and your money would be better spent on lighting instead. Any show you see on tv be it day time talk, late night, or an award ceremony the audience is professionally light like the stage itself.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 08:02 AM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

I'd suggest changing their set budget to just two cameras (one CU and one wide) but with double the budget per camera, and stick with HD resolution. At least you already have the tripods.

At least this will give you $3k per camera to work with and hopefully buy something realistic.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 08:18 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the input Andrew. Any suggestions on a camera if I go that route?
Old July 16th, 2018, 08:19 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
The successor to 1/3" cameras are the 1" the cheapest one I can think of is the Panasonic UX90 for $2,000. It has lower noise and better dynamic range not crushing the blacks as much. I wouldn't consider it broadcast but it's suitable for your application.

But to be clear the issue you are describing, the audience being dark, no camera is really going to fix that. That is more of an issue of lighting and your money would be better spent on lighting instead. Any show you see on tv be it day time talk, late night, or an award ceremony the audience is professionally light like the stage itself.
Thanks, I'll look into the Panasonic
Old July 16th, 2018, 08:31 AM   #8
Equal Opportunity Offender

Hi Brock,

I'm not real good in this area as I only research when getting ready to buy a new camera and I'm presently enjoying the Sony PMW-300.

A cheaper version of this is the Sony PMW-X200 which may be worth spending all your budget on for just the one camera. You'll get a half inch 3-chip HD sensor for much better low light performance.

You may even purchase cheaper if you buy second hand.

As for the other camera(s)? Just keep one or two of the ones you have and use it/them for wide shots. Reckon you can get away with just two if you need to.

Your thoughts?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 08:34 AM   #9
Major Player

That's a really nice camera haha. Not sure if he'd be willing to do that, but I may have to suggest it.

My pastor is currently on vacation so when he gets back I'm going to pitch him these ideas, see what his final budget is and then see what sticks. Cross your fingers lol
Old July 24th, 2018, 02:58 AM   #10
Major Player

Sony EX3 and Sony PMW-F3 are selling for pennies on the dollar over on eBay, I'd probably look into those. All are pro cameras, with SDI outputs and genlock, great for live broadcasts.

I'd use the F3 for angles you're not going to be changing the zoom much, and the EX3 for angles which are manned and you'll be needing a considerable zoom range from your lens.

If you must buy new (but I'd recommend secondhand, as you save a lot! Especially with a bit of patience, and EX3/F3 cameras are very common), then I'd probably be getting a Sony X70 camcorder then.

Although the EX3/F3 are a little long in the tooth they'd still be a massive massive MASSIVE leap forward over your old Canon XLH1 cameras. As the EX3 and F3 were top notch cameras for their day. Heck, I'm still using my Sony PMW-F3 to this day, just the weekend back last week I was filming a feature film with it:

Last edited by David Peterson; July 24th, 2018 at 04:11 AM.
David Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2018, 05:38 PM   #11
Major Player

I know it’s hard to know the fine details about every camera, but would you suggest these Sony’s over the Panasonic UX90?
Old July 25th, 2018, 06:12 PM   #12
Major Player

Might I suggest a Sony X70 or X90? Camcorder build & ergonomics, power zoom, no worries about external lenses, HDMI & SDI out, 1" sensor, full manual controls, Multi Interface port for external/tripod zoom handle.

You could go with 1 or 2 X70s for the 'main' cameras, then AX100 for the secondary. Same camera essentially, with less manual control buttons & no SDI.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2018, 06:38 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I notice the word "broadcast" mentioned right at the start of this discussion so am I to assume that also refers to the fact that the services are recorded and live broadcast too? Surely camera choices must include a suitable output feed and it would be useful to know whether the services are edited live too. All this information should really be factors to considered?
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2018, 07:54 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
Might I suggest a Sony X70 or X90? Camcorder build & ergonomics, power zoom, no worries about external lenses, HDMI & SDI out, 1" sensor, full manual controls, Multi Interface port for external/tripod zoom handle.

You could go with 1 or 2 X70s for the 'main' cameras, then AX100 for the secondary. Same camera essentially, with less manual control buttons & no SDI.
Yes, a combination of X70 or Z90 (not X90) would be worth consideration - the Z90 has better low light and a bit cleaner gain. It even has Log options, HDR options, 4K, better slow motion, and much better autofocus but those probably don't matter in your usage.

Current approx. B&H prices:
X70 without 4K - $1,800
Z90 - $2,800
NX80 - $2,300 - same as Z90 except no 10-bit 4:2:2 HD and records in XAVC-S rather than XAVC-L

These all look the same and use the same batteries, accessories, etc.

The AX series, as mentioned, is a consumer version of these cameras, with the older AX100 the consumer version of the X70 @ $1,400. The AX700 is the newer model with the better sensor and AF from the Z90 @ $1,900. These also use the same batteries as the X70 and Z90.

Good luck!
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2018, 09:39 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Burwell View Post
I know it’s hard to know the fine details about every camera, but would you suggest these Sony’s over the Panasonic UX90?
The Panasonic is better suited for your application. The Sony models mentioned use smaller consumer sized bodies and lens without out a lot of reach. While smaller, lighter cameras are an advantage for handheld or travel those attributes work against when using traditional tripod heads that need enough weight to work properly.

Like someone said if you’re streaming/broadcasting or plan to do either in the future you need to consider how the cameras and mixer will be connected hdmi or sdi.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion