Is it possible to pull focus on a lens while crash zooming? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 10th, 2019, 02:49 PM   #31
New Boot

Re: Is it possible to pull focus on a lens while crash zooming?

Ryan, may I suggest an option you may not have considered? If getting this particular shot (and getting it right) is as important to you as it sounds like, you may want to consider contacting a few AV rentals place in Saskatoon and look into renting a higher end digital cinematic camera and lens for a day (or half day if you plan it right) for just this one shot then color match, etc in post.

It shouldn't be too expensive but then you have exactly the shot you want and how you want it.... Just food for thought.

Whatever you do decide to do, all the best! If you can, please share your finished results here. I'd love to see it!
Brad Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 03:03 PM   #32
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks. It's just that I am worried about the camera footage not matching if I use a different camera compared to the rest of the footage.

Also whenever I rent, I have to book weeks in advance, and if one person in the cast and crew has to reschedule anything, I cannot get the rental then. In the past, renting has been very tough cause of this. But I can certainly try.

Or if tracking it is going to look even better, than I can do that, I am just not sure how to track it fast enough.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 05:18 PM   #33
Inner Circle

You can apply a speed ramp in post during the edit, many NLEs allow you to do these.

Even if the track is slower than the the crash zoom, it will still carry more energy than the zoom, especially in an action sequence.

For a fast move you're better running forward than a going backwards, Steadicam probably has the advantage for this, but you could try the same with a gimbal mount. Having the gimbal facing back as the operator runs forward. Practice should get a good technique..

Not as fast as a crash zoom, but more power.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; January 10th, 2019 at 05:59 PM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 06:01 PM   #34
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh yeah for sure I would definitely run forwards compared to backwards.

However, if I speed it up in post, how do I make it look non-sped up? Like when I take frames out to speed up the footage, you can tell there is missing frames, and it looks unintentionally cheesy. Plus the actors in the shot are moving faster, where as I just want to speed up the camera movement and not have the actors look sped up.

Is this possible?
Old January 10th, 2019, 07:02 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Basic rule is you shoot at a higher frame rate for slow motion and at a lower rate for fast motion.
https://www.diyphotography.net/learn...st-10-minutes/

Most cameras only offer 24, 30 and maybe 60 but I've found you can do both even if filmed at a normal rate. Speeding up in the editor more forgiving than slow motion. Speed changes are always ramped. Again whether you'll be able to do it will depend on your editing software both Premiere and FCPX will. So you might go from normal speed and ramp up to twice the speed.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 07:15 PM   #36
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks but what do you mean by 'ramp' in this context? Is ramp an actual Premiere Pro term for example?

I have Premiere Pro. What feature in Premiere Pro are you referring to?
Old January 10th, 2019, 07:22 PM   #37
Inner Circle

ramping is acceleration or deceleration of video speed.
Old January 10th, 2019, 08:05 PM   #38
Slash Rules!

You would find a clip speed control in your NLE, and keyframe that effect on that particular clip to go from normal speed to 200% or 2x or whatever your software calls it, then back to normal at the right time. You could try to get a friend or whoever to help you test having the actors do that shot at half speed so when it is sped up it looks normal. That’s the only way to know if itll work for you. Tests.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 09:23 PM   #39
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks, I am just worried it will look like the actors are moving fake, when they try to fake moving slow.

I can't really test it cause I don't have the gimbal yet and will not have it till later on before production. That's why I was hoping to know if it would work sooner than that. But I can test it later if need be.

Every time I try get an actor to fake something physical like that, it always comes off looking fake, which is why I prefer the real deal if I can.

Another thing is, when I move a camera really fast, there is a serious rolling shutter jello effect going on. Especially when you move a camera as fast as you can. That's another reason why I was more comfortable with zooming fast instead.

But is there a way around this?
Old January 10th, 2019, 09:57 PM   #40
also known as Ryan Wray

As for shooting at higher frame rate for fast motion the camera can only shoot as low as 24 and no lower unfortunately.
Old January 10th, 2019, 10:04 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Wray View Post

But is there a way around this?
Yes film a romantic comedy instead
Old January 11th, 2019, 12:09 AM   #42
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks, but it's too late for that now :)
Old January 11th, 2019, 04:21 AM   #43
Inner Circle

As a matter of interest, why to you wish go wider rather than move into the action? Are there people running in to join the fight?
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 12:43 PM   #44
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh I wanted to start out with a close up of the main character peaking around the corner than go wider to reveal the people hiding behind walls, and pillars waiting to ambush him. If that makes sense as to why I want to go wider?
Old January 11th, 2019, 04:46 PM   #45
Inner Circle

I suspect that would work better as a slow dolly short, revealing the danger. This is the old Hitchcock suspense concept, the crash zoom is more surprise. The audience will be more emotionally involved if you tease them with the increasing danger as the main character enters the space moving ever closer to the threatening figures. .

http://www.thereversegear.com/hitchc...-and-surprise/
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion