What equipment is good for this type of camera movement? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 20th, 2019, 08:00 PM   #16
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: What equipment is good for this type of camera movement?

Okay thanks, I've tried renting before, but the store is always booked up for weeks and shoot dates change a lot, so I haven't been able to depend on the stores because of that.

The stores have dollies, but no jibs. A jib might work to get that type of move I want but it would have to be rather large, and so would the location to support it. I am guessing a dolly may be better but not sure.

I thought about getting a tripod dolly, like the ones made by proaim, but I was told that they do not do well with smoothness, even with track underneath if that's true.

So maybe the best thing to do is either get that or a jib.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 01:20 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Ryan you've got your blinkers on again. A dolly will work if the floor is good. If it isn't, then the added cost and effort of track is bad. Plus, do you have the time and patience to practice. It's damn hard work to get the coordination. A jib will NOT do the same thing. The centre of movement would need to be on the inside. To move the camera in a circle around the actor means the pivot needs to be inside the circle!

Why do you always want to do things you can't do? You never have money, you never seem willing to put any work into your projects but you demand perfection or the collection of new skills instantly. We suggest workarounds and you just ignor them.

For goodness sake. Borrow a shopping trolley. Sit in it and get somebody to push you!!! Why would you buy something you will only use once because next week, you'll want to buy lights? I've pushed cameras on post trolleys, luggage trucks, even once a kiddies battery operated car. You're just making excuses. People are telling you sensible things and for some reason, you ignore them. I don't know why you ask if you are never ever going to take advice from people who have done these things. Ask your friends again, they'll suggest more crazy impractical things. Just think and improvise. If you need a tracking shot, then create it. Have you even bothered to try any of the ideas people have suggested. If you have money to waste buy the rolling skid from proaim. Don't then come back and ask us how to make it go in the right direction, because without considerable practice, they don't. I expect tha another new topic.

It does seem that we are putting more effort into your projects than you do!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 12:02 AM   #18
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks, sorry I will try to be more open to work arounds. I tried the shopping trolley before, but when you move it, it makes noise, that is picked up by the microphone. That is why I wasn't open to DIY solutions cause then ones I tried before, would make noise, so I thought maybe I could use something professional, cause I figured it would be made to be quiet then.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 01:01 AM   #19
Slash Rules!

At the risk of keeping the circus going--again, that's why you have to evaluate what you actually have available in terms of money, equipment, etc., and work around it, which really means WRITING around it. Can't do a smooth dolly move and can't live with a janky one? Then no dolly move for you. That may also mean no gimbal move or anything of the sort. Rewrite the scene or rethink the visual approach to it. That's all there is to it. In other words, you may simply not be able to make the movie in your head right now. We low budget indie guys all face this. You have to compromise (sometimes severely), abandon the project and tackle something you have the resources to do (write stories around what people/locations/gear you have available), or find real funding to make your dream movie. Those are the choices.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 07:15 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I have done this type of shot with the cameraman sitting in a wheel chair with the camera on his shoulder. The shot can be stabilized in post if needed. This is what the Hollywood boys use. https://products.msegrip.com/collections/dollies-track. You can see the similarities to a cart you can buy at Harbor Freight for a lot less money. If it squeaks use some lubricant on the wheels.
Frank Grygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 07:43 AM   #21
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks. That dolly looks like it has wheels that handle shock absorption so maybe I can do something like that, with such wheels. A wheelchair or shopping cart might work, if I can get rid of the noise, so I can try oil.

Also, I can use the gimbal since we already have one to compromise as well. Even though the gimbal is not as leveled in height, perhaps it's still better than nothing, as a compromise...
Old June 23rd, 2019, 10:04 AM   #22
Inner Circle

You can rent anything you want from rental companies, go to a larger or more comprehensively equipped rental company. These people are used to renting out kit at short notice for commercials and music videos , so it not being available at short notice is just the people you're dealing with, many have arrangements with other rental companies if they need to hire in.

You don't get vibrations from good dollies, depending on the model they have jib arms.

You can use less expensive dollies on tracks, eg a Doorway dolly.

BTW these can have pneumatic wheels fitted, so you can track on a relatively smooth surface.

Use the right kit for the shots, although you may not be able to afford one of these:

I hope this thread isn't going to go around in circles( which you can also do on a dolly).
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 11:08 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I was shopping this afternoon and had a shopping trolley - so did hundreds of other people. None made any noise a microphone could capture. I'm not quite sure what part makes a noise that oil would cure. Probably just British shopping trolleys are silent, and US one clanky. Although something tells me that just isn't the case. Your AST mic can't be boomed because it makes funny noises and it can't be used near a shopping trolley either? Wow! The list of things this mic can't do is growing. I rather like the wheelchair idea - you could mount a monopod to it for a little height. Improvised kit always stays in my head for future use.

For what it's worth I discovered a year or so back that if your location has rough concrete - like many factory screeded floors, you can do smooth camera movement with a jib on a rolling tripod. I have an very old Vinten Dolphin arm on a Vinten OB tripod with 4" wheels and if you shoot with the jib arm horizontal, the weight of the arm balanced really smooths out the vibration as the wheels jiggle over the rough floor.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 12:39 PM   #24
Inner Circle

There are industrial trolleys/dollies that can be converted into a camera dolly. Or, if someone has some engineering ability, you can buy the wheels and build a basic platform dolly.

https://www.ajproducts.co.uk/warehou...leys/461670.wf

https://www.ajproducts.co.uk/warehou...eels/459451.wf

Here's a DIY doorway dolly for some ideas

Also

Even more low budget

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; June 23rd, 2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old June 24th, 2019, 01:16 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Loading the shopping trolley with some sandbags should dampen down any vibrations..
Old June 24th, 2019, 04:49 AM   #26
Inner Circle

This is a trolley
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2019, 05:23 AM   #27
Inner Circle

No this is a trolley.
https://www.abis-uk.com/getmetafile/...axsidesize=680
so is this
https://cdn-01.media-brady.com/store...d.lang.all.jpg

but this

http://picturesofgateshead.co.uk/pos...ms1/ophg3w.jpg

is a tram.
Old June 24th, 2019, 06:56 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Further translations can be found here:

https://www.spellzone.com/blog/Sixty...unterparts.htm
Old June 24th, 2019, 10:42 AM   #29
Slash Rules!

Be real careful with that $50 dolly design...I built some similar and it squeaked on pvc pipe (for track) in a way that made it unusable for sound. Was told by others (ha, where have we heard THAT phrase) it was a design flaw (though I dont remember what the flaw was—-wheel softness, pvc track, the whole design?) and would never be silent without a redesign.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2019, 10:43 AM   #30
Inner Circle

One of the other easily usable things we often have to hand are flight cases. Very handy to use for cameras. They get the lens at sensible heights, they're sturdy enough to be used for this kind of purpose. The only tricky thing being that they have 4 casters that move. On my own home made bodges over the years two fixed casters at the front and two normal ones at the rear work rather well for moving cameras.

Ryan - you said you'd had issues trying this out. What kind of shots went wrong with the tracks you tried. I've been thinking about noise. I cannot remember any times where noise was a problem. The usual issues were all to do with movement. Going the wrong way, or jerky, or unwanted vertical movement. If you have a gimbal - getting your shot must be doable?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion