What equipment is good for this type of camera movement? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 30th, 2019, 06:21 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: What equipment is good for this type of camera movement?

Adding some weight to the buggy (eg sand bag(s)) would probably smooth things out a bit more with those slow moves. A bit of inertia assists in keeping the speed constant.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2019, 09:30 AM   #47
Inner Circle

The floor is not remotely flat and I wondered about shooting fast frame rate and slowing it but the point I think is that there are ways ryan could have tried but he gave up!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2019, 11:04 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Planks or sheeting are good for less than smooth floors.
Old July 1st, 2019, 03:06 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I’m glad you said that. Thought my judgement was going!!
Thanks, Paul. If you actually watched the movie you would see it is 95% shot with a Steadicam just like so many other movies. Steadicam moves are very organic because they depend on Physics not technology. But what do I know?
Old July 1st, 2019, 05:57 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Maybe so, but that particular Castaway shot looks more like a dolly shot than Steadicam shot. That's not to say you couldn't use a Steadicam, but you may be into using it with a gyro for the slow speed and longer focal length lens and a highly skilled operator. A dolly would be the easiest method of doing that shot.

Given the discussion, it would still be beyond the skill level of Ryan's crew if they had a Steadicam, plus the thread is about how he could do that type of shot with their kit.
Old July 1st, 2019, 04:55 PM   #51
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
The floor is not remotely flat and I wondered about shooting fast frame rate and slowing it but the point I think is that there are ways ryan could have tried but he gave up!
Oh I didn't give up, I was just busy helping shoot someone else's movie project the last few weeks, sorry for the late reply.

As for shooting in a fast frame rate and then slowing it down, the actors dialogue would be slowed down too then, wouldn't it, if I wanted the actor to talk?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2019, 05:13 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Don't use that method with dialogue, it only really works with static subjects or subjects you can control the speed of, so that they appear to be at a normal speed when the slow motion is applied. Or, if you wish to have the slow motion effect.
Old July 1st, 2019, 08:03 PM   #53
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. But when it comes to movement where I want to record dialogue, what if I have a tripod with wheels, and I put a gimbal on the tripod? Would the gimbal help make it smoother when I roll the tripod around on wheels?
Old July 1st, 2019, 08:55 PM   #54
also known as Ryan Wray

However, the tripod dolly did make noise on someone else's shoot that I worked on before, if noise is usually a problem with a tripod dolly?
Old July 2nd, 2019, 12:38 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Noise will be created by a number of factors.

1. How good your kit is

2. How appropriate is the kit for the shot you're attempting to do.

2. Is the kit well maintained and if the grip is on top of any possible noise sources during the shot.

3. The surface(s) you're operating on.

Get or make a good dolly and you won't need a gimbal, unless you're going over a rough surface. Unless you've got one that allows remote tilt and pan control of the camera, using a gimbal limits the camera movement on the dolly for precise framing.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; July 2nd, 2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 02:25 AM   #56
Inner Circle

Noisy professional or bodged up kit is just best avoided.

Think back to your science classes at school. Moments, inertia, that kind of stuff.

if you put a gimbal mount onto something like the thing in my daft experiment, then a 5mm movement induced by the wheels on unsmooth pavement produces 5mm of movement +/- anything introduced by suspension components - so your gimbal offers no smoothing potential at all in the vertical plane. In short, balancing the camera on the support with or without the gimbal will move the lens through the same vertical movement.

If YOU sit on the support, and hold your arm out, in a similar shape to a steadicam arm, then the gimbal will remain in it's vertical height above ground position because your arm has mass, and therefore inertia. This because of the distance to your shoulder pivot point. Gimbals are designed to keep the camera pointing in the same direction, even if you change the angle and rotational relationship of your hand or whatever holds the camera. This they do very well. The real issue with gimbals of course is that they object to panning and tilting, so electronic means are used to change their spacial orientation. This movement is what sets good gimbals apart from poorer ones. It's the old carrying a cup of tea of the stairs thing - do it with your arm out, and you don't spill. Try it with your elbow fixed to your side and it does.

Ryan - just remember that because a technique is tried and fails, it doesn't mean the technique itself is bad. if a technique squeaked or squealed then you fix this, and continue. You don't dismiss the technique. You analyse and draw conclusions.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 06:43 AM   #57
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. The gimbal not panning and tilting is good though right? So if I wanted to do a circular motion around an actor, than I will travel in the circular motion without panning, if that would work...
Old July 2nd, 2019, 07:31 AM   #58
Inner Circle

The gimbal without pan and tilt is OK for simple shots, however, a drama director can be more demanding.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 08:20 AM   #59
Slash Rules!

Ryan will just have to NOT be so demanding.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2019, 07:09 AM   #60
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, how are drama directors more demanding?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion