How does a filmmaker decide which aspect ratio to shoot in? - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 28th, 2019, 11:23 PM   #136
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: How does a filmmaker decide which aspect ratio to shoot in?

Well it's tough without knowing more. Like for example, why were movies like Terminator 2, and Manhunter both shot in 2.39:1, even though those movies mostly took place in tight locations?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 12:48 AM   #137
Inner Circle

I suspect it's because they are movies and they use the scope frame for the full big screen blockbuster effect.

Same with "The Great Escape", even though much of the film takes place in a POW camp. However, In this case, scope makes the camp even claustrophobic and gives a greater sense of freedom after the escape.

A good decision should be based on how it serves the story, not on if it's an interior or exterior film.

Compare "The Hunt for Red October" with "Das Boot", but remember the latter was made as a TV mini seriesl, with the feature film being a cut down version. However, the aspect ratio serves the story in both cases or at least framed to serve the story.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; July 29th, 2019 at 02:41 AM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 10:43 AM   #138
Obstreperous Rex

I'm aware that the video links are not embedding properly.

It might take a day or two to get the situation resolved but I'm working on it... it is a priority.

For now, you can click through the video links to go straight to YouTube (in a new browser tab).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 12:17 PM   #139
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks. I watched all the videos. When comparing The Hunt for Red October to Das Boot, it seems that either ratio will work for my story, but in different ways for some of the shots, where as other shots, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Why did James Cameron choose to shoot T2 in 2.39, but the first Terminator in 1.85?
Old July 29th, 2019, 01:00 PM   #140
Inner Circle

The main reason was probably the budget (it's pretty much a first feature apart from directing part of Piranha II ) and making the stop motion easier. Terminator 2 was shot on Super 35 (as was "The Abyss). Aliens was shot in 1:85. I gather Cameron doesn't like shooting anamorphic..
Old July 29th, 2019, 01:09 PM   #141
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but Cameron shot anamorphic for T2 and Titanic so I thought he would have preferred it therefore.

But did you have to shoot anamorphic back in the 80s to get 2.39? Couldn't you shoot with spherical lenses and just add black bars to the film some how, or crop it off?

But I guess that's another thing all together. One movie that is shot in 2.39:1 is Manhunter, but how come The Silence of the Lambs, also a Hannibal Lecter movie, was shot in 1.85 in comparison? What advantage is there with 1.85 over 2.39 for that type of psychological thriller?
Old July 29th, 2019, 01:29 PM   #142
Inner Circle

I've only once had a chance to look through a viewfinder on a camera with an anamorphic lens on and I'm not sure I could ever get used to it. The point being that 100% of the frame size is utilised. Black bars waste an awful lot of the available image. Anamorphic just squeezes more information into a space - not the same as bunging a wide lens on and letterboxing!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 01:39 PM   #143
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
But did you have to shoot anamorphic back in the 80s to get 2.39? Couldn't you shoot with spherical lenses and just add black bars to the film some how, or crop it off?

But I guess that's another thing all together. One movie that is shot in 2.39:1 is Manhunter, but how come The Silence of the Lambs, also a Hannibal Lecter movie, was shot in 1.85 in comparison? What advantage is there with 1.85 over 2.39 for that type of psychological thriller?
Yes, unless you wanted to shoot Techniscope, which is 2 perf pull down 35mm camera negative, which can be grainy; the Lab then created a squeezed internegative for producing projection prints. Quite a few films were shot with this, including the Italian dollar films with Clint Eastwood and "American Graffiti". It fell out of use during the 1980s, however, usage increased since around 2000, when a new generation of cameras came available, combined with digital intermediates etc. Cameron used it to shoot the Titanic wreck in the feature film.

The choice of aspect ratio is a creative/financial one, which is up to the director and DP. You can ask why all you want, but you won't get a catch all answer.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; July 29th, 2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old July 29th, 2019, 10:35 PM   #144
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I've only once had a chance to look through a viewfinder on a camera with an anamorphic lens on and I'm not sure I could ever get used to it. The point being that 100% of the frame size is utilised. Black bars waste an awful lot of the available image. Anamorphic just squeezes more information into a space - not the same as bunging a wide lens on and letterboxing!
Oh okay, is there a big difference between letterboxing to 2.39 compared to shooting in anamorphic and squeezing down the image? I thought 2.39, was to create a certain, feeling. Whether or not you use anamorphic compared to letterboxing, most viewers are not going to notice, are they? I mean I know there is a big difference between the two as someone into filmmaking, but is there a big difference to most viewers?
Old July 30th, 2019, 12:24 AM   #145
Inner Circle

There is a difference, the most noticeable ones with anamorphic lenses are the oval bright highlights instead of round ones with background lights and the horizontal flares. In the days of shooting film, the grain would be more noticeable on non anamorphic films especially in the cinema, some shots in the dollar trilogy are pretty grainy.

Some 16:9 TV dramas are being shot with scope anamorphic lenses because of the look. They just use a 16:9 frame within the 2.39 one.

Viewers can vary, if they're into watching films they'll probably be more be aware than those who are indifferent.
Old July 30th, 2019, 12:26 AM   #146
Inner Circle

Do they notice their to is showing so pictures sometimes? Anamorphic lenses were always so expensive, and choices of real photographic physical formats were all down to budget, and the distribution chain. No point having a new movie in a format most projectors can't handle. The shape of the image is just a historic selection of ones that were popular. Nowadays you can shoot in your own aspect ratio and do whatever you want. Somebody makes a choice as to what they think will look best, that's all.
Old July 30th, 2019, 01:51 AM   #147
also known as Ryan Wray

Yep for sure, I can tell the difference with anamorphic lenses, it's just when I ask friends' opinions they say they don't even notice unless I point it out to them. So I don't think it would be worth getting anamorphic compared to just letterboxing.

But as for choosing whatever aspect ratio I want, I was told not to do this as if you want your movie to be successful, and hopefully find distribution, that a lot of distributors prefer just the two standard aspect ratios, if that is true.
Old July 30th, 2019, 02:30 AM   #148
Inner Circle

It doesn't matter if they're aware or not, it's like an artist using different types of brushes and their palette knife for a particular effect in their painting, most viewers won't be aware of what is being used in its creation.
Old July 30th, 2019, 03:48 AM   #149
Inner Circle

But Ryan - what is the point? You limit yourself to using a specific focal length lens and while some are cheapish - many are crazy money, and all to just fill the sensor corner to corner. if you buy a sensor with more pixels, could you not shoot full frame and the crop, still ending up with more actual definitions and used pixel count. I don't see the attraction. you never have enough money, so why limit yourself so much at the capture stage. If you're thinking about hiring real cinema quality cameras, then I can see the point, and the extra crew costs these things require, the extra bits to handle focus and the additional complications of very shallow DoF.

I like to look at people like Philip Bloom - who uses the right tool for every job. not getting bogged down in the technology. He gets excellent images from virtually every single camera system and sensor size - because he he very good at what he does. watch his youtube videos and then try to work backwards, and you'll see that kit is NOT the driving factor behind his images.
Old July 30th, 2019, 10:16 AM   #150
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, I've seen some of Phillip Bloom's videos. If kit is not the driving force, then shooting 2.39 without anamorphic lenses, shouldn't be a problem then, right?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion