How does a filmmaker decide which aspect ratio to shoot in? - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 1st, 2019, 12:36 AM   #196
Inner Circle

Re: How does a filmmaker decide which aspect ratio to shoot in?

If you wish to to use horizontal space as in the Kurosawa film, go for scope, if not, go for 1.85 or 16:9.

If in doubt, write out a list of the pros and cons of the factors, then make a decision and stick to it. The aspect ratio is one of the easier decisions in making a film.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 12:36 AM   #197
Inner Circle

As you don't appear to be able to plan in advance, and need a rule book to follow like painting by numbers, why not increase the pixel count, go wider and then sort it out later.

You've also started to use terminology I don't understand. Dirty over the shoulder shot? Never heard that and really have no clue what it means? Something else you've grabbed from somewhere? Same with the constant use of 'scope' it's really terminology that is in many ways, akin to the audiophile groups. As in, a bit niche and strange.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 01:04 AM   #198
Slash Rules!

https://www.actinganswers.com/what-is-a-dirty-shot
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 01:08 AM   #199
Inner Circle

"Scope" is just short hand, it comes from Cinemascope, it doesn't mean you're using anamorphic lenses or a particular system. It's easier to say in conversation than 2.39:1, or you'd say anamorphic or the system being used eg Techniscope or Panavision

*Flat" widescreen would get used in connection 1.85:1 because it doesn't use anamorphic lenses. Since it refers to spherical lenses, Super 35 ( originally called Superscope) could come under that, but this allows a number of aspect ratios ( in film 1.85 or 2:39 using a common top).

"Dirty" seems to be used as the opposite to clean in lining up and blocking the shot. I've never heard anyone using it on a film set, unlike clean. However, "dirty" is usually more dramatic in framing,
Old August 1st, 2019, 01:30 AM   #200
also known as Ryan Wray

Well I think after watching several movie scenes that may be similar to the shots I want, I think I will keep trying to download frameforge and hopefully it will work, so I can play around with it.

I think I am now leaning more towards 'flat', because, since my script is a horror thriller, there are fight scenes, and flat gives me more vertical space to work with in the fight scenes.

Flat also means less extras for the scenes you need crowded extras. Scope has it's advantages for looking good in certain wide shots, and being able to get real close in other shots, but I feel my two reasons for picking flat may be more important.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 01:51 AM   #201
Inner Circle

Be aware that flat now generally refers to the lens being used, anamorphic v spherical (flat lens). so I wouldn't use it when shooting with a digital camera, it could cause confusion, since you generally use spherical lenses, regardless of the aspect ratio.

It's a historical term from when film cameras were using spherical lenses to shoot flat widescreen (1.85) as against anamorphic widescreen (2.39) using Cinemascope lenses etc Widescreen being wider than the 4 x 3 used on television at the time.
Old August 1st, 2019, 02:03 AM   #202
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks :). I can just use the terms 1.85, and 2.39 then to avoid confusion.
Old August 1st, 2019, 02:08 AM   #203
Inner Circle

Using the aspect ratio in use will avoid confusion.
Old August 1st, 2019, 02:15 AM   #204
also known as Ryan Wray

What do you mean by using the one 'in use'?
Old August 1st, 2019, 02:35 AM   #205
Inner Circle

The one that you're using.
Old August 1st, 2019, 07:31 AM   #206
Obstreperous Rex

Just curious, Ryan, what camera are you using? Is it a Canon DSLR?

You might have mentioned it earlier but I can't find it since this discussion is 14 pages long now.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 11:25 AM   #207
Slash Rules!

I thought I saw A7s or something somewhere.

“dirty single” and “dirty over” are definitely terms I’ve seen before [jnsert joke here]. And I have even heard dirty used that way on actual sets.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 12:16 PM   #208
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah I've used the A7s II before, rented, and I own the Canon 7D as well, but prefer the A7sII if I can use it since it's 4K. But I don't like the full frame as much as the DOF is too shallow at times, so I might want something like the A7s II, but not full frame, if possible for this current project.

One problem with the Sony though is that I can't find any firmware to shoot at 1.85:1, and I was told that is the aspect ratio I need for making a DCP, if I decide not to shoot in scope.
Old August 1st, 2019, 12:25 PM   #209
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
“dirty single” and “dirty over” are definitely terms I’ve seen before [jnsert joke here]. And I have even heard dirty used that way on actual sets.
It could be a US term, you're more likely to hear cockney rhyming slang on a UK set.
Old August 1st, 2019, 12:27 PM   #210
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh I've only heard dirty OTS, and that is when the person who's camera is over the shoulder of, you cannot see much of their head, compared to seeing their whole head, if that makes sense. Don't know any other 'dirty' types of shots.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion