Why do a lot of filmmakers seem to hate deep focus cinematography? - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 11th, 2019, 05:40 PM   #181
Inner Circle

Re: Why do a lot of filmmakers seem to hate deep focus cinematography?

What you think pools of light are? Films are full of them.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 05:48 PM   #182
Slash Rules!

I would imagine he's referring to things like this The light source doesn't necessarily have to visible in shot but overall effect will be much the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do a lot of filmmakers seem to hate deep focus cinematography?-photo-1553095066-5014bc7b7f2d.jpg   Why do a lot of filmmakers seem to hate deep focus cinematography?-pol.jpg  

Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 06:09 PM   #183
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. Do you think that if for some scenes, I want that brown wall look, like in Seven, then I could light the walls with a brown light?

Last edited by Ryan Elder; November 11th, 2019 at 07:35 PM.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 02:22 AM   #184
Inner Circle

You won't get the precisely the same as "Seven" because it's painted , however, not many places use brown light, at least, not many modern police stations. Why are you changing from blue to brown walls?

If you're not allowed to paint any locations. you'll probably have to go with the white walls and keep as much stray light from the walls as possible. I did a corporate where the director didn't want to see the white walls, which was a bit unusual, since it was supposed to be in their offices, all of which have white walls.

You may be then able to be able to put slashes of a suitable colour onto parts of the walls using flags or gobos on spots.

In the end, with your low budget, you'll have to go with what you can get. As a film maker the real world kicks in and you have to roll with it. It forces you to be creative, quite a few great things in films aren't what they originally planned to do, but lack of money forced them to come up with something new. That's what indie film making is all about.

The usual method is to find an old building in a run down area, rent it for a month or two and let the art department do their stuff. I've filmed in empty old houses, stinking of damp, which look like plush houses on screen. Don't go for commercial buildings, unless you've got the budget to get control.

If you just want one room to have brown walls, talk to your art department, they may be able to build a small set with brown coloured walls built at low cost fitted against the room's usual walls. However, all these things have associated costs, even lighting will take longer if you want to do more than an extremely basic 15 minute lighting job. If your police station is a modern building, you can't suddenly put brown walls in because they had them in "Seven", because it will look out of place. .

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; November 12th, 2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old November 12th, 2019, 06:40 AM   #185
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but Seven took place in modern times and still had that brown look though. I thought I could have some walls be brown, some be blue, etc.

That's why I thought of lighting the walls, instead of painting, because of low budget. I can try to find a rundown building, maybe something like that will turn up.
Old November 12th, 2019, 07:10 AM   #186
Inner Circle

Seven is set nearly 25 years ago, the police station is an older building somewhere in an US city (inspired by NY), not a modern police station (it looks like the 1950s since the last refurb).
Old November 12th, 2019, 01:11 PM   #187
Slash Rules!

Ryan, is there not a Canadian Film Commission, or Canadian Production Guide, or something, a place where all the pro production personnel list their contact info? In Houston we have the houston production guide (google for website).

If you have a resource like that I would look through and start calling the location scouts, whose entire job it is to find places for people to shoot, and tell them your needs. I dont know how/what they charge for their services but gotta be better than banging your head against wall and going in circles like this.
Old November 12th, 2019, 02:52 PM   #188
Inner Circle

This looks like the type of place to be looking: https://www.thelocationguide.com/fil...hewanselected/
Old November 12th, 2019, 06:52 PM   #189
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh yes, I know of that, but I don't think they deal with location scouting particularly. Perhaps I'm wrong...
Old November 12th, 2019, 07:03 PM   #190
Slash Rules!

Yes but there simply has to be some location somewhere that knows the Saskatoon area.
Old November 12th, 2019, 07:12 PM   #191
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah I can advertise for one, instead of doing it myself like before. So many of the buildings here have white walls.
Old November 12th, 2019, 07:26 PM   #192
Slash Rules!

If you advertise they might think youre trying to hire them i.e. something that costs you money. Great if youre looking to do that, but you might be able to get some pointers for free if you contact them yourself. I dont know for sure.
Old November 12th, 2019, 07:36 PM   #193
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh I thought that was the idea. I could contact them myself, I just don't know where any are. So I thought I would most likely have to advertise to get them to contact me. But I can try to look for them, if that's better.

However, this would probably be after I have picked a DP, right?
Old November 13th, 2019, 01:09 AM   #194
Inner Circle

If the location is critical, then it's an early decision. If you can't find the location your DP cannot light it. When you wrote it, did you not have a location in mind?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 02:07 AM   #195
Inner Circle

You can spend weeks looking for the right location, find that first. As a DP I've usually been brought on board after the location has been selected, then go on the recce. DPs can change because of circumstances, so don't hold off on decisions because of them. I've been rung up the day before the shoot because the original DP wasn't available for the film.

The state/local film commission etc may have a list of places that are available as locations, it's worth checking. I know lots of shorts here have used locations on our local database, you'll probably have to negotiate lower location fees with the owner, if they're used to bigger productions.

It can also involve driving around possible locations and checking with estate agents who handle commercial properties or empty houses that might be slow movers.

You have to be extremely proactive, nothing will happen unless you make it happen. On your budget, you can't turn down a great location because the walls aren't brown or blue, you have to be flexible and go with the best you can find.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; November 13th, 2019 at 02:52 AM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion