Why do a lot of filmmakers seem to hate deep focus cinematography? - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 18th, 2019, 02:58 PM   #241
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: Why do a lot of filmmakers seem to hate deep focus cinematography?

Well I guess I am cautious of going outside the box, cause when I do, it hasn't turned out well. Even with that script, I want to do, people said it was unconventional and I should direct something more mainstream instead for my career, so I guess I feel pressured not to go outside the box therefore.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 04:05 PM   #242
Inner Circle

Either you believe in the script or you don't. Time needs to be spent writing it and rewriting it, you can easily spend a year doing this on a feature film, quite a few scripts take longer, some take years If you have a script editor/doctor any flaws can be worked out, but you do need to have the confidence to take on board what is being said and making it your own. You need to sense that the suggested change required may not directly what's they say, but some missing element is required as a set up. The good ones don't give direct suggestions, they ask questions.

I wouldn't confuse crossing the line or shaky crane shot, with thinking outside the box, that's not a mechanical thing.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 04:11 PM   #243
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah that'st true. I've rewritten the script over the years, and kept applying changes and suggestions from people. But still people are not interested in doing it. I believe in the script, just got to persuade others to be in the rewrites.
Old November 18th, 2019, 04:50 PM   #244
Inner Circle

Lack of interest in a script is more common than people wanting to get involved in a project. The person in charge of a big script development agency in the UK said that out of 200 well written, professional feature film scripts only one had what it takes to go all the way.
Old November 18th, 2019, 06:28 PM   #245
also known as Ryan Wray

Yep that makes sense. I'll keep plugging away it.
Old November 19th, 2019, 01:48 AM   #246
Inner Circle

Get a professional script reader's report, they;re basic, but not hugely expensive, just be aware that they can be brutal affairs. However, they can be better than what friends tell you. For example, Euroscript runs a barometer service http://www.euroscript.co.uk/feedback-services.html , but you can find others online.

Beware thar all reports are subjective (they can vary from reader to reader), but they are good indicators
Old November 19th, 2019, 06:25 AM   #247
Inner Circle

My Director this week has taken numerous scenes and rewritten almost every line in some, because he couldn't make the written words work with real people - perhaps they worked with the writer's imagination of the casting, but with the real people it was like they were speaking French - just sounded wrong. It's made a huge improvement and as it's better, the writer is actually happy, when hardly any line is left untouched.

Just how it is. The Director just stepped up, and did it. No asking "is it possible" or "could we consider..." He just said this is wrong and sorted it. Wide shoulders. Cast and crew all thought the same - much better. Only a stupid production company would put it back!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 09:28 AM   #248
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Get a professional script reader's report, they;re basic, but not hugely expensive, just be aware that they can be brutal affairs. However, they can be better than what friends tell you. For example, Euroscript runs a barometer service FEEDBACK SERVICES - Euroscript , but you can find others online.

Beware thar all reports are subjective (they can vary from reader to reader), but they are good indicators
Okay thanks, I already did that by having other pro writers read it on sites. Opinions were very mixed. I can try this site too, after making some changes. Thanks! I think the biggest problem with the script, is that I find it difficult to create suspension of disbelief for readers, and need to work on that.

As for dialogue, I agree it's best to change the dialogue, once the actors are casted. I did that with some of my past projects, and the dialogue sounded better. One director I worked under, his scripts have very poetic dialogue, and the actors just can't recite it the way he wants in my opinion, but he still keeps the dialogue as is, and is not very open to changing it.
Old November 19th, 2019, 10:47 AM   #249
Inner Circle

All fiction films are about the suspension of disbelief. You usually need to add a bit more narrative detail to the sales script than you would in the shooting script, they are different animals. Opinions in script reports can vary.
Old November 19th, 2019, 11:35 AM   #250
Inner Circle

Going back to this topic title, I had to smile a bit when yesterday I had a two camera crew in from the BBC here and their complaint was that they WANTED deep focus and couldn't get it, so I suspect maybe, just maybe, this quest for deep focus is only in a small subset of cinematographer and video people.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 02:12 PM   #251
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Going back to this topic title, I had to smile a bit when yesterday I had a two camera crew in from the BBC here and their complaint was that they WANTED deep focus and couldn't get it, so I suspect maybe, just maybe, this quest for deep focus is only in a small subset of cinematographer and video people.
Funny because we’re always struggling to get shallow focus but getting deep focus has its own set of challenges.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 02:17 PM   #252
also known as Ryan Wray

Sure I can try adding more narrative details to suspend disbelief, if that would help. One thing is, some readers had trouble being able to tell what certain characters were thinking, since generally, you are only allowed to write what the viewer would see. But I can still write some thoughts.

As for shallow vs. deep depth of field, I could go for shallow if it's less challenging for a DP, as long as the audience doesn't mind rack focusing between multiple characters, in wide shots.
Old November 19th, 2019, 02:59 PM   #253
Inner Circle

You don't put character's thoughts in a film script, novels do that. You have to have subtext, character expressions and body language and your use of words to reveal what they're thinking. E.G. She throws him an angry look.

There are books, Linda Seger's "Making a good script great" might be worth reading for this.

Talk to your DP about shallow vs. deep depth of field.
Old November 19th, 2019, 03:28 PM   #254
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. But even if you describe anger, or fear in looks, the reader still wonders some things about what is going on inside their heads still.

I will check out that book, thanks!
Old November 19th, 2019, 05:05 PM   #255
Inner Circle

You can't show their thoughts in a film like you can in a novel, They're different mediums.

You have use the 93% that isn't the dialogue text and indicate that in your script, you can't see or hear on screen what's going on inside their heads unless you plan to use voice over. Sometimes you can indicate the subtext for the actor, but some actors don't like that.

You can put in things like "He stares out the stranger" or put "Angry" in the dialogue.

Are these readers script readers or your friends?
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion