At what point do you decide to reveal a twist in a screenplay? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 14th, 2020, 03:37 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: At what point do you decide to reveal a twist in a screenplay?

Next time somebody tells you something, stop. Consider the things this person has previously told you, and what their track record is at getting it right? So many of your friends and colleagues are either too nice, too random in their opinions, or possibly just winding you up. They tell you the most ridiculous things sometimes - why do you put any trust in what they say?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2020, 03:53 PM   #32
Inner Circle

This is a thread from the writing forum from 4 years ago talking about this same screenplay which got him banned. Just read his ridiculous premise.

https://www.writingforums.org/thread...racter.147655/
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2020, 04:37 PM   #33
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, it's just that also, on here people tell me my gut reactions were wrong in the past though, so I thought those opinions count too, shouldn't I listen?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2020, 04:53 PM   #34
Inner Circle

If the characters are taking you in a different direction to your intended themes, perhaps you should start thinking why this is the case and if there is an underlying issue with either your characters or your premise.

Writers commonly talk about following where their characters take them.

Having had a quick look at the writers forum, I'm left wondering if you really know these characters or even met people like them, if this is the case why should anyone believe the story you;re telling, especially if your own characters are taking you in another direction? That also raises the possibly that you don't really believe in your own story, maybe that's the real twist in all this.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2020, 05:02 PM   #35
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh well usually it's if I write in a fly by the seat of your pants sort of way, compared to building toward a pre-planned ending in advance.
Old March 14th, 2020, 05:06 PM   #36
Inner Circle

That doesn't make any sense.
Old March 14th, 2020, 05:40 PM   #37
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh sorry, how doesn't it? If you already know the ending you will build towards in advance, then you are more certain that the characters will not make any decisions that contradict the theme, no?
Old March 14th, 2020, 05:55 PM   #38
Inner Circle

If you are forcing them not to contradict your "theme" in a way that doesn't work, so that you have unbelievable characters, the whole thing will then appear 2 dimensional, with cardboard cut out characters.
Old March 14th, 2020, 05:59 PM   #39
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh yeah I don't want that either, but want to find a balance, where they are not card board cut out at all, but they do not contradict the themes either.
Old March 14th, 2020, 06:19 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Based on your comments in the the writer's forum. I suspect you are basing your characters on people you see in movies, which isn't a promising start and appears you're on yet another copy and paste exercise.

Given your forum, messages you're no Ernest Lehman, so perhaps you should be considering that your premise doesn't work or you don't know the world of your characters enough to pull the audience into it, so that it does work.
Old March 14th, 2020, 06:26 PM   #41
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, well I can to try to seduce the reader in more then, if that's best.

As to the comment that the premise is ridiculous, I was told this before by a couple of readers, but was also told by some that there is no such thing as a ridiculous premise, just a ridiculous execution. So as long as the execution is good, than the premise will work. Is this true?

But what if you pitch your script to be people and tel them the premise, and they will judge based on the premise, without reading the execution though, if it's the execution that makes a premise good?
Old March 14th, 2020, 06:32 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Perhaps you should consider if your script is a ridiculous execution as these readers are saying that the premise is ridiculous?
Old March 14th, 2020, 09:34 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
Oh okay, well I can to try to seduce the reader in more then, if that's best.

As to the comment that the premise is ridiculous, I was told this before by a couple of readers, but was also told by some that there is no such thing as a ridiculous premise, just a ridiculous execution. So as long as the execution is good, than the premise will work. Is this true?

But what if you pitch your script to be people and tel them the premise, and they will judge based on the premise, without reading the execution though, if it's the execution that makes a premise good?
So how has the four years of trying to execute a ridiculous plot been going? I suppose your litany of questions here is your idea of perfecting your execution. Dear lord...
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2020, 01:43 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Well, maybe I'm old, or just old fashioned, but I find the entire plot described on the other forum - which incidentally is for SCRIPT WRITERS not people like us - distasteful in the extreme. I don't know why anyone would wish to make a movie like that, but knowing a person who was raped means I know just one thing.

I'm male. I have no understanding whatsoever of factors that would be important to the female viewer. I try to empathise, but I cannot. I suspect that few males could understand at all, but just sympathies on the periphery. Clearly, by the 7 pages of comments, it's clear Ryan has no comprehension whatsoever about the story matter he wishes to create. It cannot work. Half the viewing audience would be screaming at him.

We're in a new world of gender fluidity, and that's difficult enough to comprehend, but this movie idea is doomed because it's misunderstood by the writer, and misunderstood my 50% of the populace. It's hugely problematic, and potentially dangerous. On top of this - Ryan has issues reading people. He has issues understanding what they say, and simple responses frequently get misinterpreted or distorted. The constant request for "So what you are saying?" when it usually is NOT what we're saying means that the subject matter is too emotive and for many distasteful, to be strung together in this hamfisted manner.

Ryan - I urge you to drop this screenplay because it is bad. It will remain bad when edited, and will be viewed as bad by the audience.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2020, 02:49 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Given Ryan's work to date and the type of questions he repeatedly asks, this project appears well beyond his understanding of people and his current talents.

There are a number of good films that deal with rape and serial killers etc, some are pretty dark, but since Ryan seems to be more concerned about the superficial aspects it's unlikely to go beyond being a poor exploitation film. perhaps revealing more about Ryan himself than the the larger world.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion