Should I try to talk this director into doing this differently? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 3rd, 2021, 12:59 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Should I try to talk this director into doing this differently?

The makeup people will be smacking their foreheads here Ryan. Makeup is an art - big time. Spraying makeup is totally different to the old techniques. Some is really cutting edge.

I actually wrote an exam unit in prosthetic makeup in the early 2000s - an HND. I was a bit behind on technique so spent a week with an artist and learned so much.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2021, 09:49 AM   #47
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. It's for the actors I have access to, there are two in particular I want to look younger. I can get make up artists and let them know that.

Also, even though I read how they make women look softer and men not, with lighting, I never understood that, because a lot of times, when this is done, the guy just ends up looking siginificantly older than the woman in characters who are suppose to be a couple, unless this is usually intentional in the lighting and make up?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2021, 10:46 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Lighting cannot distinguish between sexes, but the essential component is the sharpness of shadows. The shadow from the sun has travelled 93 million miles so it's rays are almost parallel. When these impact on skin, the tiny hair follicles create shadows - like the surface of the moon. This makes the bigger 'holes' and emergent hairs on men typically show up more. Female facial hair is much smaller and less visible.Acne and spots become very visible on both sexes. Wrinkles and skin imperfections become more obvious. The most narrow lighting fixtures are things like Source 4s - not parallel, but they do create shadows. Fresnels create less, if they're also big - so a 12" Fresnel works better for softness than a 6" one. Move to panels and fixtures with big sheets of diffuser and the light's pretty soft.

If you were doing an interview with a male and a female and wanted soft and gentle for her, and harsh and revealing for the fella, you could do this with lighting. Much harder to do for a movie scene without lighting people and budget.

The snag Ryan, as usual, will be finding a makeup expert in Saskatoon - TV and movie makeup people are hardly common.
Old June 6th, 2021, 11:13 AM   #49
Trustee

Hey Ryan - It’s really good to read that you’re jumping in to other areas besides just doig the “assigned” job! All these experiences will help with the overall knowledge of how stuff can be, or might be done. In the old days, one had to go through an apprenticeship in a craft and part of the learning was not only how to do certain things but also being exposed to so many things that weren’t taught in the classroom. All this exposure will help collect those little “nuggets”, not speaking of gold, per se, but useful bits knowledge about how something can, or might, be done, which in the end is akin to gold because that is how one derives their living.

Another way to say this, its learning via the road of hard knocks.
(well, kinda .... hard knocks is more about when there was a problem)

But, this is all what counts as EXPERIENCE!
And it is valuable!

Last edited by John Nantz; June 6th, 2021 at 11:15 AM. Reason: experience > experiences
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2021, 11:19 AM   #50
also known as Ryan Wray

Thank you everyone for all the advice on it! Well I could get someone from outside of where I live if that's better and just bring them here perhaps.

One make up and lighting example in a movie I did not understand is Casablanaca. They seemed to use much softer make up and lighting on Ingrid Bergman than Humphrey Bogart. This makes Bogart look significantly older than her but was this intentional?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2021, 12:04 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Bogart has a tough, lived in look and any age difference didn't appear out of place. After all he met his real life wife. Lauren Bacall, when she was 19 (25 year difference). In films it's not unusual for an older man to attract a younger women. High Noon perhaps pushes a bit too far.

In real life older men have relationships with younger women and older women have relationships with younger men. I know one woman who did both.

At time of Casablanca, they usually used hard light and the female actors, commonly had a frontal key light for their CU/ It's about making them look like movie stars. .

If you want a tough male lead, you don't light them like the female lead.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; June 6th, 2021 at 01:46 PM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2021, 01:26 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Marlene Deitrich had her own personal lighting director. A famous lighting designer called Joe Davis. He was responsible for her image on stage and screen for 22 years. She was very protective of her image.

Brian's quite right - you might spend a very long time doing the tuning for these people. Casablanca is a great example of careful lighting and camera setup, shot by shot. I don't think the attempt was to make him look older, but to make him look harder and different to Bergman's look.
Old June 6th, 2021, 04:37 PM   #53
Major Player

Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2021, 01:22 AM   #54
Inner Circle

It was just getting good and I thought nice, and then he wrecked it with the last bit, the greeny murky look. Just shows how one person’s likes are different. My thumb was up till that moment and I ended up hating it.
Old June 7th, 2021, 02:47 AM   #55
Major Player

At the risk of adding even more confusion, why is it that folks who make these tutorials almost never use videoscopes? This fellow mentions the RGB parade in passing 'tis true, but passes it off as unimportant. I thought the golden rule was you can rely on scopes, but can't be sure how accurate your display is unless it is a properly calibrated professional one, so what looks good on your display to your eyes may look pretty awful on someone else's and since he is using a laptop................
Dave Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion