I have a question about using Premiere Pro. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 24th, 2021, 02:01 AM   #1
also known as Ryan Wray

I have a question about using Premiere Pro.

I am working a on a project and Premiere Pro has never done this to me before, and was wondering if anyone could help.

So what happens is, is that whenever I hit 'save', it always treats it as a 'save as', and wants to know what I want to name the projects, and where I want to save it, and in what format, etc. But I just want to save it under the name, format, and location that I have already been saving it in. I just want to save, and no 'save as' each time I save. But it keeps treating the save as a save as each time.

Does anyone know what the problem could be by any chance? Thank you very much for any advice on this! I really appreciate it!
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2021, 06:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: I have a question about using Premiere Pro.

When you create a new project - you get the file location choice there, and that's where all the associated files get put. If you do a save as it only puts the new project file in that location, leaving your source files, proxies or anything else somewhere else, so it's reminding you. Once you have everything in the one folder, save works as normal - or at least it does on my machine.

Test this by creating a new project in the place you want - then use the save function - you shouldn't get anything asking for a new location in that case.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2021, 05:07 PM   #3
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. Thanks for the input! But it's all in the same file folder though. So I guess that's not the problem then?
Old December 24th, 2021, 07:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

What version of Premiere are you using?
Pete Cofrancesco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2021, 01:42 AM   #5
also known as Ryan Wray

Sorry I am using the 2021 version.
Old December 28th, 2021, 01:19 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I was thinking it could be an old version. Problems can occur running an old version on a new machine/os and vise versa new version on an old computer. Standard practice is you start a new project and save as to a location. Subsequent saves should over write that file without prompting you to save as in a new location. Could be a permission issue that the OS isn't allowing Premiere to over write at the location you picked. Premiere also periodically saves backup files to an auto-save folder for each individual project...
Old December 31st, 2021, 07:16 PM   #7
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thank you very much. I just got the 2021 version so this is my first project on it and I have had this problem since I started not too long ago, where it is save as, instead of just save. I am not sure what the problem could be.
Old January 1st, 2022, 02:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It may be worth looking at a video tutorial for the 2021 version, it may go through any new procedures.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2022, 03:55 PM   #9
Inner Circle

My one just saves, unless I use the save as option. Both on the mack and the PC. Sorry Ryan.
Old March 1st, 2022, 10:18 PM   #10
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thank you very much everyone. I haven't found what it could be yet, but I will just keep telling it where to save whenever I save if I have to and cannot find the problem. Thanks.
Old March 1st, 2022, 11:44 PM   #11
Inner Circle

It's difficult to troubleshoot computers over the internet. You could start with a fresh install of the OS and Premiere. If that didn't work could be a hardware issue.
Old March 7th, 2022, 01:02 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I was just completing a project on premiere and this topic popped into my head. Save as works exactly as it always has, so it’s a computer issue. Delete and reinstall.
Old March 11th, 2022, 01:44 AM   #13
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but the thing is, is that I work for a company and do editing for them, and they moved to a different part of the building in the last two weeks, on a different computer, since they wanted to use the other computer for different things.

On the new computer, it's the same issue. Unless the computers are connected some way and that could be it likely?
Old March 12th, 2022, 01:45 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Occasionally on one of mine The razor blade cursor refuses to change from the arrow. It works as the razor blade, but is really confusing. None of the others do it. Have they updated premiere recently, or not, as the case may be. It’s a fault. Not normal. So reinstall it.
Old March 15th, 2022, 01:09 AM   #15
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thank you. I tried it so far and it's the same but I will keep plugging away at it! Thank you everyone for the help so far!
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion