Would using orchestral chimes be weird in a score for a movie set in modern times? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 1st, 2022, 09:38 PM   #1
also known as Ryan Wray

Would using orchestral chimes be weird in a score for a movie set in modern times?

I like the sound of the instrument, and it's good at adding dramatic punctuation for sure. But in movies, I only have recall hearing the instrument in either period piece movies, movies set in Europe or Asia, or superhero movies.

But a movie set in modern day America, I cannot think of any that had scores that used the orchestral chimes. So I am wondering if it would come off weird therefore, in such a score? What do you think?

Thank you for any opinions on this! I really appreciate it!
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2022, 01:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Would using orchestral chimes be weird in a score for a movie set in modern times

It’s only wrong if it doesn’t work. I presume by orchestral chimes, you mean tubular bells? It’s been common in European settings to add ethnic drums or Japanese gongs if it works in the musical context. Instruments are chosen by how appropriate the sound is to the piece. Strange instruments or new weird ways of playing them have been quite common for hundreds of years. Remember at one time it almost got to riots when a saxophone was put in an orchestra. Strikes and real anger!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2022, 01:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Would using orchestral chimes be weird in a score for a movie set in modern times

As Paul says, it either works or it doesn't. John Barry used a cimbalom on "The Ipcress File" and "King Rat", on the former he used it to give the feeling of a man alone, plus to him, it was a nod to "The Third Man". At the time, it was unused in film or pop music.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2022, 01:28 AM   #4
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks, I can use it then and see if it works. Thanks! Yes, sorry I meant tubular bells.

I was also wondering, I wanted to do a tune kind of similar to this for a certain feel and tone:

But instead of using a piano, would it be weird if I used strings and a xylophone instead? Or would that be a weird choice for such a type of musical piece?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2022, 01:46 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Your courage and self determinism has vanished again Ryan. Simple answer. Try it.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2022, 06:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

No one here can provide an answer, it will either work with your film or in won't. Being creative involves trying things out and experimenting, risk is all part of it, and you'll have to face up to that.

Here's William Friedkin explaining his music thought process for "The Exorcist".

Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion