20 yrs of JVC video cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 1st, 2023, 11:52 AM   #1
Inner Circle

20 yrs of JVC video cameras

I thought some people might like this video - my history of buying JVC cameras since around 2000 or so. See what you think?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2023, 05:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 20 yrs of JVC video cameras

Wonderfully and well explained video. It was a pleasure watching even if I never used a JVC camera.
Happy New Year
Old January 2nd, 2023, 07:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I often like to buy things that work for me, rather than following fashion - the 1/3" chips mean deep depth of field and the low light performance for stage stuff - the kind I do - has never left me working lens wide open, even on 0 gain. I just like them. I wanted a wide angle for ages and they're rare. I found one on ebay for a fair price, and when it came, the guy sent me his camera too - so I now have 3.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2023, 02:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I used to have a JVC GY-LS300, wonderful camera with a set of unique features like being able to zoom with prime lenses. Main downside was it's low light performance as it produced some ugly colored noise at higher iso that was impossible to remove with plugins like neatvideo. But as long as the light was good it produced a nice looking image with great color. Too bad JVC discontinued the camera.

About using dslr's to shoot performances, I agree that they are not the type of camera's for that purpose as most lenses are designed for photograhy and don't allow smooth controlled zooming, they are also not parfocal, you can get parfocal lenses that are designed more for video but they ain't cheap and there are power zoom adapters but you never will get the same amount of control as you will get with a fixed lens camera, at least not at a reasonable price.

But you can't judge their ability to produce good color based on your 12 year old camera, a lot has changed since then. The lens on your Pentax is also cheap stocklens that is not designed for video, no wonder the rings are so stiff, try using the zoom on a expensive lens, the difference is pretty big but still no match against the zoom operation on a fixed lens camera.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2023, 05:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Actual Noa - I have to agree. I wanted to buy a Sigma 50-500mm zoom but theyve stopped doing them for pentax - so I bought a canon version and a lensless hardly used fairly basic Canon body, and the colour is totally different, and despite me liking the Pentax 'colour' for years for LED theatre lighting, The Canon is much better.
These two pictures are from the same scene - the one with darker blues is the Pentax.
Attached Thumbnails
20 yrs of JVC video cameras-cinder3.jpg   20 yrs of JVC video cameras-cinder1.jpg  

Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion