LANC controller to zoom slow? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 16th, 2023, 11:03 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: LANC controller to zoom slow?

A lot of it seems to relate to the servo motor in the lens and how it's designed and how it interfaces with the LANC controller. I found using a Sony X70 or Z90, both of which have very good true variable speed zooms when using their built-in zoom rocker switches, seem to work well with good LANC controllers.

With both the 70 and 90 I can get very progressive control over those two camera's zoom functions without any perceptible stepping. How they achieve that must be down to the control interface between the fixed step LANC protocol and the control interface of the inbuilt lens servo. Which as I said work extremely well on those two little camcorders.

Comparing the control of those two cameras zoom lenses to the control of either the Sony 28-135 mm F4 or the 18-110 mm F4 servo zoom lenses on an FS/PXW series cine-cam using the same LANC controllers is like chalk and cheese. No matter how hard you try, you can get caught out with these two lenses by stepping speed changes.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2023, 07:17 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I use one of these for my camcorder cost around £30 for a decent version

https://imgur.com/wgs0ji8
Barry Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2023, 05:58 PM   #18
Major Player

Using a Canon ZR-2000 LANC controller, I can get from 5-21 second zooms. Have to use a couple of adapters to connect it and the ZR-2000 is no longer available new.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2023, 04:39 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Using a Canon ZR-2000 LANC controller
Is that one compatible with a Sony ax100?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2023, 11:08 AM   #20
Major Player

From a 2014 post:
--------------------------------------------
"Update on the Lanc situation. I picked up the two adapter cables I needed to connect my Canon ZR-2000 to the AX100.
Coming out of the camera's MULTI connector, I plugged in the Sony VMC-AVM1, which is the flat-style MULTI plug on the camera end, and a D-shaped jack on the other end. Next, I connected the second adapter cable, A-3AV. This adapter cable has the D-shaped plug on one end and the 2.5mm jack on the other. Total length is about 12 inches. With these, I was able to use my Canon remote, which has a 2.5mm plug.
Functions of the remote which worked: Record stop/start, Display, Zoom, both variable and stepped modes. In variable mode, some of the end-to-end zoom times I got were 5, 6, 11, 13, 16, 18. There are 16 selectable zoom speeds on the dial and here's how those worked: 1-2 = 21 sec, 3-4 = 15 sec, 5-6 = 11 sec, 7-8 = 8 sec, 9-10= 5.5 sec, 11-16 = 5 sec.

Functions that did not work: Magnify, AE Shift, Iris, Manual A/F switch, Push to Focus, manual focus adjustment dial, Standby, Peaking.

Mark ...."
------------------------------------
So yes, it will work with the AX100. I still have the remote, cables and my two AX100s if you have any other questions.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion