shooting in pal at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 10th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #1
New Boot

shooting in pal

hey im thinking of buying either a dvx10 or a pd100a in the pal format, i figure its almost like shooting in 24 frames p/s but i am naive about this stuff... Ultimatly it is easier and less expensive to transfer pal to film (I think?)... Can someone give me some info about what sort of problems i might run into shooting pal, like expense wise and stuff like editing being that i am in the U.S. Thanks...
Andrew OShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Andrew - and welcome to DVinfo,

What's a DVX10? Do you mean DVX100? If so then the NTSC version can actually shoot at 24fps progressive scan however the PAL version cannot. The PD-100a is a much older camera which isn't going to give you the quality of many newer models.

You do realize that a film transfer is a really expensive prospect, right? The cost of the camera is nothing compared to that...

The Sony HVR-Z1 will do PAL, NTSC and HDV if you really want maximum flexibility, but it's probably more than your budget. Take a look at DVfilm's website - they do film transfers and also make software for converting PAL to NTSC and deinterlacing: http://www.dvfilm.com/faq.htm In particular, see question #30. They are not really suggesting that you use PAL for film transfers anymore.

As far as the downside to buying a PAL camera, well for starters you won't be able to show your footage on any of the NTSC TV's in the US and if you make PAL DVD's they won't play on DVD players here in the US. To do this you would need to use some software like DVFilm Atlantis to convert everything to NTSC which involves long rendering times and doubles the amount of hard drive space needed for your projects, plus you'll lose some quality in converting to NTSC.

For editing, just about any software or computer can handle both PAL and NTSC so that won't be much of an issue. But if you want to view your footage on anything other than a computer monitor you'll need a PAL compatible monitor.

Personally I don't think it makes sense to buy PAL equipment to use here in the US unless it's for a specific project which requires it. I did a PAL project last summer in Argentina, and I bought a Sony Z1 so that I could work in both NTSC and PAL.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #3
New Boot

meant pdx10

sorry i meant pdx10,
Andrew OShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #4
Wrangler

I'm sure a PAL PDX-10 would be a nice little camera. It would have all the issues I mention above regarding to using PAL in an NTSC country however. I'd get the NTSC version and use some software like DVFilm Maker if I wanted 24p personally.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #5
Major Player

The PDX10P does not shoot progressive if that is what you are after - it only does 50i.
If you are serious about finishing on film, then, if it were me, I'd budget for hire costs of good quality cams that shoot 24P.
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 10:42 PM   #6
New Boot

thanks for the advice, i bought the ntsc version....
Andrew OShea is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion