Making Fog in Post? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Making Fog in Post?

I know there have been many threads about fog, and I went trough a couple of them, but didn't really found the answer I was looking for.

It's actually a simple question. First the background: I had a dream with an image of somebody walking on the street, I'm going to spare you on the details, but it was night and at the end of the street there was some fog and after the fog some blue lights, unexplained.

I was just wondering - without the ambition to make this film or image, but just wondering, because maybe one day I could build a script around it - if you could make believable 'fog' in postproduction with special fx?
If you don't have the money for big fog machines?

I know there are filters too, but I mean, really, the visual of the end of a street with fog, and then the blue lights flickering behind the fog. Could you do it on a small budget? If so, how?

Thanks for all possible answers,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Probably not exactly what you are looking for but close, real close. A little nip here and a little tuck there and you should have it.

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bi...ws2/index.html
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #3
Trustee

Fog machines are cheap. I got one on ebay for $35 including a programmable timer. They go for about $20 at Wal-mart before Halloween. They sell out fast, but are soon available on ebay after the holiday. They are usually in 400Watt, 700W, and ~1200W models. I got the 400W model since I hope to run it on a big battery (at least for a couple of takes). It takes a few minutes to heat up, but it out enough fog in one 30-second burst to completely fill a room with zero-visibility fog. It then needs to heat up for about a minute. I believe the 700W can put out fog half the time, and a 1200W can make continuous fog. If there is a lot of wind, the fog will blow away. If there is no wind and you use a fan, you could spread the fog around. A 1200W machine will take up one circuit breaker with no hot lights on it. A generator could handle two of these and produce amazing amounts of fog. I just looked up "fog machine" on ebay and saw a 1000W model with a built-in fan diffuser for $60 plus shipping. You can probably rent a generator for about $35.

The fog machines are easy. Renting a generator is easy. Finding a street where you can make fog is the hard part. Although the "fog" is mostly water and food-grade propolene glycol, the fact that it blocks vision means that you would need to have no vehicle traffic in the area. Some people could have an allergic reaction according to the label, so no exposure to asthmatics. Also, artificial fog could be mistaken for smoke, so the fire department should be notified if you make lots of the stuff so they don't come running. Tell your neighbors if you are going to do something on your property. Look up "halloween fog" and you will find sites with all sorts of advice and ideas for fog machines. You can even make fog that hugs the ground with a fog machine and a cooler full of ice.

Try http://www.gotfog.com/ for a great start.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Wrangler

The particle effects in Apple Motion are really pretty good. It includes several presets for fog, smoke and clouds. Once you learn your way around the program you can make make it do lots of things. Of course it won't be quite the same a real fog, but it might do what you want.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion