What's wrong with these people? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 25th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #1
Major Player

What's wrong with these people?

When I'm shooting events with my GL1, I tend to get a lot of John-Q.-Public-types who ask me if I'm "takin' pitchurs." First of all, this is a ridiculously stupid question to ask a man who's running a camera. Second, is it really that hard to tell the difference between a video camera and a still camera?

Invariably, when I inform these people that I am in fact shooting video footage, they act surprised.

There are obviously many more interesting things than this that we could be discussing, but the whole thing just strikes me as being really bizarre. I am wondering if anyone else runs into this, or if my neck of the woods is just especially populated by bucktoothed imbeciles.

Feel free to post your own stories of public thickheadedness.
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Perhaps they are interested in what you are doing and are trying to find a way
to get a conversation started? I'm always interested in watching crews shoot
something and am always wondering how best to approach a friendly chat with
people who are obviously busy.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

My favorites, are the ones who *see* you shooting something, yet still walk right in front of you... their eyes on the camera the whole time. Maybe they duck down 2 inches, and give you the "Sorry" face and shoulder shrug.
Old June 25th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #4
Major Player

When I got married, it was in a public garden with a long path leading from a pond up to this pergola. The area is cordoned off from the public for the ceremony. Our guests sat in the pergola and we walked up the path at the start. An couple in their late 60s - him smoking a big, fat cigar - ignored the signs, the smartly-dressed people and an obvious bride and groom. About half-way into our procession up the path, they cut right across in front of us - literally about 10 feet away. I remarked "Thank you for being a part of our special day!" - I think the sarcasm was completely lost on them.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

I'm thinking, we need specially trained dogs to help us. When somebody is about to walk into a shot, you can release the hounds, and they will quickly carry off the offending citizen... Maybe Dingos, they don't bark.
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #6
Major Player

Heh...every here those Bill Engvel "Here's Your Sign" jokes? Perfect opportunity :-D
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Major Player

What is this, 20 questions?!

Maybe they're all taking a daily dose of "Dufus Factor".

A couple of months ago I was set up above a valley and a couple of hundred feet from a country road. Maybe one vehicle every 15-30 minutes would pass. Then a 2-ton truck slowed down, pulled off and drove over near my location. Great. Well, nothing is happening at the moment so I stroll over to the truck, hoping to get this guy off onto the road again. I'll call him Clem Yokel.

Clem has the window down and is staring open-mouthed (are all these people mouth-breathers?) at my XL-2 rig which is set up on a tripod. He doesn't say anything so ask him, "how's it going?"

"Huh? What's that?" pointing to the XL-2.

I turn to look at it, as if seeing it for the first time, and tell Clem, "It's a video camera."

"What?" Apparently looking at something and listening are mutually-exclusive activities for Clem.

"A vee-dee-oh camera," I repeat.

"What does it do?" asks a dazed Clem, for whom events seem to be moving a little too quickly.

"I record video with it."

"Well, uh, what does it tell you?" asks Clem.

Now what is that supposed to mean? Recognizing all the hallmarks of a conversation as fruitful as nailing Jello to a tree, I changed the subject to his truck (he was carrying water, but sometimes he carries fertilizer) and eventually got him to leave.

I just can't suffer fools.

Last edited by Boyd Ostroff; June 26th, 2006 at 12:36 PM. Reason: OT political comments
Doug Boze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #8
Capt. Quirk

You best watch your step... just remember what happened to Ned Beatty!
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #9
Air China Pilot

Sure, it's one small step from: "hey, nice camera" to "you've got a pretty mouth."
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #10
Capt. Quirk

Umm... that's pronounced "Purty".
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Umm... that's pronounced "Purty".
Actually, it's pronounced "Puhrdee". :)
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #12
Inner Circle

When I was getting my scuba certification a line of us would be walking down the beach fully rigged up.

More often than you'd expect, someone would stop and ask, "You guys going diving?"

Well, no. We're going hiking. This is our water and lunch on our backs.
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey Doug,
Don't forget what happened to Dennis Weaver in the Movie "Duel"
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Honestly, still camera design hasnt changed majorly except the first few digi-stills, and the Nikons ... most are tradtionally shaped. What bothers me is when people brag that their digital still can do video too. Yeah 640x480 30fps video (many times while a Sony D600 is on my shoulder) and that it's comparable with whatI put onto "that huge tape monster."

Hey the first time I saw a XL1, I was thrown. The old Canon L1's (8mm/Hi8 tape) were shaped like SLR's but built on the same concept of the XL (prosumer interchangeable lenses).

I dont see how people can confuse the two but I answer "Yes, the camera provides 1,080 lines of horizontal resolution while taping onto a compressed tape format known as DV50. It process the three primary colors, which are independentley processed and then combined when recorded onto tape."

...That alwas throws them for a loop.
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I've often dreamed of attaching a super soaker to the bottom of my camera........... oh the dream.....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion