iSight as a helmet cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 14th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

iSight as a helmet cam

I am climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, and was wondering if it is possible ot use a iSight with the Sony HVR-A1 as a helmet cam? I know you can do DV-in to the camera, but the iSight needs power (and the 4 pin firewire into the camera does not supply it, at least I think).

I won't have access to the iSight until 3 days before I'm leaving, which won't give me enough time to get a real helmet cam if neccessary.

If someone has an iSight and a Sony HVR-A1 or similar camera, could you test it and see if it works?

Lastly, if this solution isn't possible, what are the best helmet cams (under $150), that use a camera as the recording source?
Jason Gurwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #2
New Boot

helmet cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Gurwin
I am climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, and was wondering if it is possible ot use a iSight with the Sony HVR-A1 as a helmet cam? I know you can do DV-in to the camera, but the iSight needs power (and the 4 pin firewire into the camera does not supply it, at least I think).

I won't have access to the iSight until 3 days before I'm leaving, which won't give me enough time to get a real helmet cam if neccessary.

If someone has an iSight and a Sony HVR-A1 or similar camera, could you test it and see if it works?

Lastly, if this solution isn't possible, what are the best helmet cams (under $150), that use a camera as the recording source?
Cal randy Chase at chase cam

www.chasecam.com
Dan Shaffner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

Jason, I could be wrong because I've never used an iSight, but I don't think it shoots DV25 like a camorder. It probably has some sort of custom data format that can only be interpreted by a computer program and it wouldn't work by plugging it into a camcorder.

For another idea, take a look at a recent issue of DV magazine where they reviewed the A1. There's a picture showing the whole camera mounted on a helmet while the author rides a bicycle.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion