Film industry - Editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 13th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Film industry - Editing

Alright, well my goal was to go to college for motion image degree. It takes 2 years. I've already completed one year, a mandatory requirements (design foundations certificate). Now I'm just unsure if this is the right thing for me. I love filmmaking and editing, I just don't know if I am going to find a good paying job. I'd like to be able to support a family someday (I'm 21 currently).

Anybody have experience or tips?

I live in Edmonton,AB (Canada), so I don't really know what jobs are out there, I'm going to explore around and see what I can get.

I hear most filmmaking jobs are out in Vancouver.
Song VAIO PC / 3GHz / 1.5GB ram / 710GB capacity
Calvin Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, one of the disadvantages of our 'branche' is that it's not as consistent as working in a factory or as a doctor...
But editing get's well paied, some top-editors charge 100 dollars per hour (or more, I don't know?) so when have some jobs, they pay very good, but of course it's not a steady 9 to 5 job...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Major Player

I know plenty of people who make a great living and support a family based on editing. You can freelance, you can work full time for a post house, or you can work full time for a production company. I know a lot around here for work for places like National Geographic and Discovery Channel also. There is a lot of cutting going on.
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The more you can do... the more you will do.

You're young. Learn as much as you possibly can. Learn Avid. Learn FCP. Learn Vegas.

Cut all sorts of things.

Get your degree. Work on other student's projects. Take small jobs. Look especially hard for intern opportunites for working production companies. This might be industry IE Television or film companies, or it might be Indy IE Add agencies. But interning with a really busy company is like drinking from a firehose. You WILL learn a lot.

The offers will come.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
I hear most filmmaking jobs are out in Vancouver.
Saskatchewan and Manitoba have growing film/video industries because of the high level of provincial incentives there. They have sometimes have trouble filling crews and have to fly people in that case. Saskatchewan also has training programs, since they want to develop talented Saskatchewan labour. The programs are really directed towards Saskatchewan residents though (i.e. the incentives are higher if the production uses Saskatchewan residents, etc.).

There is also corporate video, wedding videos, local news, etc. everywhere you go. I think there are more jobs there than in TV series and feature films.

2- The salaries for editors really ranges. Feature films, TV series, commercials pay the best (can hit six figures) and those jobs are competitive. You'll need to work your way up from assistant editor (or lower). I don't know if feature film or TV series editing is done much in Alberta.

In news, you might get paid poorly.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #6
New Boot

Oh wow, okay thanks for all your replies everyone. They were very detailed and helpful.
Song VAIO PC / 3GHz / 1.5GB ram / 710GB capacity
Calvin Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 06:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

There are a number of regional filmmakers like Guy Maddin and Gary Burns (I think) in Calgary. I am in Toronto right now at Ryerson for filmmaking. But not everyone comes to Toronto (or Vancouver, Montreal,..). Terry Gillliam's new film "Tideland" was filmed in manitoba. Check out your area for film/video coops. They're good for training, getting access to discount gear, and meeting other like minded individuals to work on projects. I like being in Toronto for all the other cultural stuff - there are 10 film festivals going this weekend along with the fesival of authors, etc...
Tim Pearce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion