Grain caused by Cinema Mode or Underexposure? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 20th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Grain caused by Cinema Mode or Underexposure?

I'm editing a student film shot on Panasonic DV15s with Cinema Mode (basically just letterboxing a 4:3 frame) turned on. As far as I know, this method halves the resolution of the picture and causes some quality loss.

Is the grain in this screen shot, around the face, an example of this, or just from underexposure?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...th/Bedroom.jpg
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #2
New Boot

I'm not really familiar with that camera so this is just a guess, but I'd say that noise is due to the camera itself. While it does appear to be a bit underexposed the grain is evident throughout the whole frame so that wouldn't make sense to me.

By the way is this something you shot yourself?
Mark Gentile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:25 AM   #3
Trustee

Grainy video is almost always caused by low exposure causing the Gain to increase. Try to eliminate, or severely limit, the Gain setting on the camera. Increase light as necessary. Unfortunately, you may need to double the wattage of the light to get severe grain/noise to disappear. Assuming you are going for an outdoor night look to the scene, your technique isn't bad but you may need bigger/stronger lights. As you know, dim lights are not what makes a scene look dark. It is the lighting ratios (amount of dark vs. light) and the angles chosen by the photographer. If you can't use any more light due to electric circuits being insufficient, start looking into fluorescent fixtures.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 04:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gentile
By the way is this something you shot yourself?
Nope, just editing it and it's an absolute pleasure. First time ever a production crew have given me beautiful footage and sound to work with. I'm a first year film student, by the way.
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 05:00 AM   #5
Trustee

I'm not positive about this but it sure does look like the grain around the face is due mostly to the fact that the focus is on the tree 15 feet behind the actor. either that or the whole thing is green screen and the plate is MUCH higher resolution. I think it still may be slightly underesposed but look how crisp the leaves look, surely that isn't due to the light alone shining on the background.

Congratulations on your editing gig by the way.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion