Production Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Production Workflow

I am Shooting a kickboxing instructional DVD and had a question about the actual capturing of the footage.

before i go any further i will be using 2 vx1000's and i will be editing in premiere 1.5.

Here are me 2 thoughst.

1. Would it be best for me 2 shoot with the 2 cameras with tapes and then dump all of the footage at a later date and spend hours doing so...

Or

2. Do i hook both camera's via firewire up to seperate computers and capture there and then but also use tapes? (i just done a little test clip of abut 12 seconds and the file size was 42mb. it still gets me how much hdd space it can take.)

Which is the better workflow and is there any pro's and cons of either. anything that i would need to look out for. both computer wise and camera wise.

also im looking to get better camera's as soon as possible. what do you reccomend?

also ask questions if needs be. thanks!
Old November 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Trustee

logistics

Logistics wise it would be easier to go with tapes only so you don't have to set up the computers and capture equipment. This also allows more frequent angle changes. But if you expect the talent to be stationary, then the computer option may save you a few hours on post.

Of course you will probably spend those saved hours just in setup of the two computers.....

My read is that it is best to go direct to tape and then capture later.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Trustee

Apart from two computers, you would need two licenses of DVRack or similar software and you may wonder whether that investment will pay of in comparison to capturing at a later moment the tape(s) from the two cameras.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:40 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I agree, it's too much of a head ache to set up computers for capturing. Unless you use DVRack, there is basically zero advantage to that method, just do some exposure tests and you're good to go. Plus keep in mind, you will be tied to your cables - without them you can move freely around if you need to.

I am planning a concert shoot with 5 HD cameras (Z1U & FX1s) and will use tape in all of them.

If you could upgrade to PPRO 2.0, you would have a sweet app for multicamera switching...
Old November 23rd, 2006, 04:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas
I agree, it's too much of a head ache to set up computers for capturing. Unless you use DVRack, there is basically zero advantage to that method, just do some exposure tests and you're good to go. Plus keep in mind, you will be tied to your cables - without them you can move freely around if you need to.

I am planning a concert shoot with 5 HD cameras (Z1U & FX1s) and will use tape in all of them.

If you could upgrade to PPRO 2.0, you would have a sweet app for multicamera switching...
Now that you's have mentioned all of the hassle it will be i dont think i will bother. it seemed like a good idea at the time. i'd rather learn this now then have to mess on later. to my knowledge the camera's will change a little but i know that i will take a long time to reset everything up. is there any times that you would reccomend it?

also what multicamera app in PP2? how does it work?

Thanks for your time.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 04:52 AM   #6
Trustee

I would suggest it - as an example - in a studio environment where you record from fixed locations in a multi camera shoot with several retakes of the various scenes. In that case you may be using 10 tapes in a single day and the advantage over capturing is significant, time-wise.

For a live event with no possibility of retakes, with limited duration, it does not seem worthwhile.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 04:56 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard
I would suggest it - as an example - in a studio environment where you record from fixed locations in a multi camera shoot with several retakes of the various scenes. In that case you may be using 10 tapes in a single day and the advantage over capturing is significant, time-wise.

For a live event with no possibility of retakes, with limited duration, it does not seem worthwhile.
Fantastic. thanks for the example.

Also if i was to use a computer and i had a still camera. how would i get good sound? would i still need a sound guy or would i need a good sound card? thanks.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:58 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You are asking: "also what multicamera app in PP2? how does it work?"

Check out this tutorial: http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/a...e.jsp?id=36989.

You may want to search for more tutorials, I think I've seen another one somewhere, with less advertisements.
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Trustee

sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Carlin
Fantastic. thanks for the example.

Also if i was to use a computer and i had a still camera. how would i get good sound? would i still need a sound guy or would i need a good sound card? thanks.
You can either get a good mics and plug them line in to your cameras, or record digitally to a DAT or some other lossless recording mechanism (iRiver, MiniDisc-lossy I think)

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Ervin. I think that upgrading to PP2 is a good move its a must do really and i like what the multi camera will offer. it'll be worth the pennies.

also Jason if i was not to use computers and i wasnt recording direct to the camera what is the best way to capture audio?

Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion