Back to tape problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 27th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #1
Tourist

Back to tape problem

I'm going to go out and get a new Firewire cable to narrow this problem down, but in the mean time, does anyone recognize this problem?

I used a TRV-950 to capture to Premiere Pro 1.5 on PC, and all was fine. However, trying to send it back out to tape, I get results like this:

Sample 1
Sample 2
Sample 3

I've tried 3 different cameras (another Sony, and also a Panasonic) with similar results.

Could it be that the firewire cable is bad, even though it works fine capturing to the PC, just not vice versa? Or what else could the problem be?

Thanks!

JG
J. Geoff Malta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Have you tried a new tape? Cleaned your heads recently?
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #3
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Spencer
Have you tried a new tape? Cleaned your heads recently?
The symptoms show up on the LCD screens of 3 different cameras without even being in record mode... that's why I'm thinking it might be the firewire - but shouldn't a faulty cable be bad both ways (in and out)?
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Major Player

I'd suggest you test out that firewire cable again. In my experience, cables have become just as complex at the machines it connects to.

Having said that, it looks to me that between the tape and the computer itself, something is corrupting the data stream. I'd suggest starting a new project, import about 5 minutes of video, make a few cuts, a few transitions then export it to tape, and if it is the same, then you can also count the computer/program as part of the problem. If everything is fine, you just happen to have a corrupted project.

Keep testing until you cant eliminate any more potential problems. Once, I had about 5 potential problems with a project of mine... I narrowed it down to my computer's motherboard (it was cracked in one end.)
Old November 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Try using a different program to send the DV back to tape.

e.g., Windows Movie Maker

Your first image shows that only part of the frame is being transmitted successfully and the rest of it is "bad". (The colors and the shape of the blocks give this away)

The other two images suggest a different problem. The apparent banding of two different images in one frame is something I've seen on a camcorder when playing back a tape.

Also, what happens when you try to send back the file that you captured without editing?

This would help narrow down any issues with Premiere.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #6
Tourist

Argh!

Okay, thanks for the ideas, guys, but no luck yet. A new firewire cable didn't help and playback (of unedited footage) through Movie Maker didn't help. It still records like Sample #1. I think I'll need to try on another machine next.... :/
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #7
Tourist

Okay, well....

I loaded up PP1.5 on my buddy's laptop and it worked just fine. Capture, and back out to tape.

Guess it's time to upgrade my computer then! This one was a powerhouse when I built it almost 5 years ago -- guess it's getting grouchy in its old age. lol

Thanks again for your help!
J. Geoff Malta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion